Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again !

Another Nooby question: I read in the manual that bows are not to be dry fired under any circumstances. Today, I accedently dry fired my bow while working through an issue with an arrow that fell off the rest. What now ??
Look for damage ? if so where ? or would the damage be obvious like the string popping off ?
Can someone explain what damage would occue from dry firing ?

Thanks

Sooner

·
Registered
838 Posts
chances are if this is the first time and it's a fairley new bow your ok, but examine the limbs VERY close to see any cracks, and if you are not sure then take in to be checked out, better to be safe than sorry

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after reading your post I took a magnifying glass and looked over the bow very well. I will run it by a bow shop to have it checked out.
This bow is a Martin Jaguar with Z cams, about 2002 model.

The only thing I noticed was on the limbs. Looking real close you can see a few laminate lines. these lines do not look new, nor are they severe. I'm new to the bow scene, so I don't know if it's normal to see very faint laminate lines on a 4 year old laminated glass limb.

Any thoughts ??

Sooner

·
Registered
377 Posts
I wouldn't shoot it until u can get it to a shop. Any abnormalites in the limbs would be a red flag for me.

Greg

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
take it to the shop

their was no question when i let my dads 72# bow go on accident. it came all apart in my hands, it cost me good new limbs and a overhall of the bow 1 month before deer season. i never drew that bow again or much less wont pull back someone elses bow either, a lesson learned at 17 ill never forgett. accidents happen be carefull

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the bow by the archery shop at sportsman's warehouse, the visually inspected the cam's, axels and other components. After inspection, the tech shot the bow several times and told me nothing was hurt, go shoot and have fun ! I asked about the lamination lines and he said he has seen those lines on other bows, but they did not look like "cracks" to him. I took the bow home and shot about 25 arrows and all seems good, excepty my shooting ability :sad:

Sooner

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
All the above is good advice. If there is a proshop in the area you trust have them check it out to be safe. Bows today are amazingly tough. I have seen several bows survive dry fires but it still makes me cringe:)

They all don't survive though;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts