Archery Talk Forum banner

dry fire

918 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Wyvern Creations
I've dry fired my desert stryker bow twice already due to difficulty cocking it. This last time the rubber/nock piece blew off the right side of the serving (left is still intact). Is it O.K. to remove this from the left side or should I replace what fell off? Also, which cocking device do you recommend. I tried one from Horton & it was JUNK! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
try the paker crossbow cocker, it uses pullies so there is a 50% reduction in the effort needed to cock a crossbow. I would also have your crossbow looked at to make sure there is no dry fire damage.

· Banned
24,198 Posts
Please read recent posts here on cocking the DS

with an Excal rope cocker. I'm attaching the photos again.

The rubber piece you said flew off the string...........is it the rubber tubing over the speed buttons or the silencer with the little fingers on it?

I don't know how you managed to dry fire the DS. When you cock it fully, the brass safety button goes to the rear of the safety slot. If it's in the rear it's cocked and without an arrow nocked it will not fire.

· Registered
787 Posts
Kis -

Do you have the Bowtech cocking rope? You don't have to make up anything. Though I did put two small furnature pads were the aluminum to aluminum contact might scratch the deck.
It's made for this purpose, very easy to use. Takes the wear and tear from your finger tips!

Mike

· Banned
24,198 Posts
I still don't understand how it's possible

to dry fire the DS. I've been shooting mine since they were first intro'd and what you are saying just doesn't make sense to me.

The speed buttons are not even close to where the cocking device attaches to the bowstring so how could they be ripped off?

I have found that the factory rubber tubing covering the speed buttons will slide off the buttons eventually. Cut the other piece of tubing off (CAREFULLY) the speed buttons, replace the speeed buttons that came off and tightly wrap them with stretchy rubber tape that can be purchased from Home Depot or Lowe's. Here's how it looks when finished and it's a permanent fix.

I never used the DS factory cocking device because I refuse to hunt with that big peice of uneeded aluminum in my pocket but I do have one and will be looking at it tomorrow.

· Registered
787 Posts
I never used the DS factory cocking device because I refuse to hunt with that big peice of uneeded aluminum in my pocket but
Yep..most definatly NOT pocket friendly...but it works well enough. As I noted, I did put some protection on the "device" to make sure it doesn't scar up the track deck.

Mike

· Banned
24,198 Posts
I just searched my workshop

and I cannot find the DS factory cocking device. I'm good at hiding stuff from myself....................especially stuff I don't intend to use.

Someone please tell me how it's possible to dry fire a DS?:confused:

· Banned
24,198 Posts
Kiscratchie

OK, I'll admit I'm brain dead here lately. So you let the string slip out of your hand before you pulled it to full cock position......................and did it twice!!!:confused: With the extreme angle of the string at full draw, didn't you think cocking it by hand without a rope cocker was risky? I think you are lucky the limbs were not damaged or worse. High performance crossbows like Desert Strykers and Phantoms have little tolerance for mishandling. Be careful:)

Thanks, LFB :)

· Vendor
5,699 Posts
The DS is one of the easiest to cock by hand due to the let off and self centering ability of the cams, but you do have to yank it back fairly hard to click the latch. They(like every other bow) dont like dry fires....take a good look at the limbs and make sure you dont have any cracks starting and take the above advice on the rope cockers...
Wyvern

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.