Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Western Triangle
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need your help...my buddy comes by last night to drop off his Z7 that he dry-fired.....he is pretty new to Archery..so you can imagine he was so embarrassed.....anyways to make a long story short....I've looked it over and as far as I can tell...other than the bottom cable coming off....it looks like it is fine..Other than the bottom cable came off and I need to put it back on....
So the help I need is, before I press it...do I need to back down the limbs? They are currently cranked all the way down....I don't know if your suppose to back the limbs out like you were w/the Drenalin's before you press the Z7..
Hopefully everything is okay..
Any help or advise is appreciated....
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Mathews says to always back out the limb before you press the bow, I know with my mathews Switchback it is 5 full turns from being maxed out, it should be the same for all the other Mathews bows but I would check to e sure. It will probably be allright not to but I would go ahead and back the limbs out just 'cause besides it ain't going to hurt anything to.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I NEVER back mine out with my EZ press. However, I've never dry fired a bow, I don't pull one back without an arrow in it. If it were me I'd error on the side of caution and back the bolts out before pressing.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I usually back mine out 2 turns, I have forgot to do it before and everything is still fine. I would tell your buddy not to be embearased things happen.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I can definitely tell you your buddy won't pull back his bow without an arrow for quite some time and if he does he will probably pull it back with his fingers!

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
I'd probably back them out a few turns before I pressed it since it was dry fired, you never know...Did you cotton ball test the limbs? If it were mine while I had it in the press I'd pull the cam & idler wheels off and check the axles to make sure they didnt get bent and also put a straight edge on the cams to make sure they didnt warp. Roll the axles on a flat glass table top or something like that, a bent one will show up quick. Make sure none of the cam spacers cracked, after all that check the servings out on the string & cable really close...If all that is good I'd put it back together and shoot it some "with the poundage turned down" and then go from there...If it all checks out turn the poundage back up and let her eat.

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
I guess this is just an opinion or an observation. If you have to back out the limbs to be on the safe side, wouldn't you equally do the same if you wanted to shoot it ?? Your pressing on the limb tips where the cam is. if the limbs can't take it, why are they on the bow in the first place ?

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
13,556 Posts
I guess this is just an opinion or an observation. If you have to back out the limbs to be on the safe side, wouldn't you equally do the same if you wanted to shoot it ?? Your pressing on the limb tips where the cam is. if the limbs can't take it, why are they on the bow in the first place ?
This is a safe guard by Mathews to protect the limbs if pressed incorrectly. You are also assuming everyone is using a linear press, which may not always be the case. So, by backing out the limb bolts, the limb does not have to be flexed as much, so it should provide some protection to the limbs from being pressed incorrectly.

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
Good answer !!

·
The Western Triangle
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the advise......and Jason, thanks for your detailed ideas....I did not think to double check the limbs w/cotton balls....:thumbs_up

Thanks again to all...
COATED

·
Registered
906 Posts
Scheels sporting goods techician just works on my bow ( Reezen 6.5 ) 60 lbs. max at 63 lbs, he replaced the serving on my string and he did not back down the limbs he was using EZ press bow press..do they need to back it down? because next time they work on my bow i will ask them about it..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Your buddyshould call Elite and tell them exactly what he did. They are experts on their own bows. They can tell you what to expect if you dry fire one of their bows.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hey guys need your help...my buddy comes by last night to drop off his Z7 that he dry-fired.....he is pretty new to Archery..so you can imagine he was so embarrassed.....anyways to make a long story short....I've looked it over and as far as I can tell...other than the bottom cable coming off....it looks like it is fine..Other than the bottom cable came off and I need to put it back on....
So the help I need is, before I press it...do I need to back down the limbs? They are currently cranked all the way down....I don't know if your suppose to back the limbs out like you were w/the Drenalin's before you press the Z7..
Hopefully everything is okay..
Any help or advise is appreciated....
Thanks!
if you are using an xpress or an ez press there is no need to back the limb bolts off.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
I appreciate all the advise......and Jason, thanks for your detailed ideas....I did not think to double check the limbs w/cotton balls....:thumbs_up

Thanks again to all...
COATED
Cotton Balls will sometime catch on a small crack/splinter that you might overlook...Pay special attention to the axle holes drilled in the limbs too.

Your buddyshould call Elite and tell them exactly what he did. They are experts on their own bows. They can tell you what to expect if you dry fire one of their bows.
The Z7 is a Mathews, not an Elite.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
x2, i gotta say i agree with this, i never back my limbs off before i press

·
State With Little Bucks
12,090 Posts
Do you put the right amount of oil back in your truck/car or what ever after it's ben changed? I'm hopeing the answer is yes because it's what the manufactory says to do.Same goes for Mathews they say to back the limbs off.;)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Opps - Call Mathews!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would have it checked out by a dealer real good!
If they find something wrong Mathews is good about working with you if your'e upfront with them about what happen, even if you dry fire your bow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts