Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help out a new archer please.

I went to my first real archery shop today and noticed that all the arrows they sold had these tiny little vanes (Blazers?). But when I bought my first set of arrows at Bass Pro shops, all the arrows they had there had much larger (4" long or so) vanes.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? And are Blazers are brand name or a type of vane?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Most people use the name Blazer much like using the name Kleenex, or Charmin. What has happened is IMHO is people wanted to shoot faster, so they went from 5" feathers which are very light, to a more durable, weather resistant plastic fletch. The 5" vane weighs soooo much more, so someone went to the 4" and got good flight. Speed was a big issue, heavier vanes put a lot of drag on the aluminum shaft. So someone said lets go to a lighter bh/tip. So a lot of shooters went from the 125-150gr heads to a lighter 100gr. Now the foc changed (front of center) and the arrow didn't shoot well. So back to the back of the arrow and someone said lets try 3" now 2"high profile vanes which are lighter. And somewhere in all that the carbon arrow came into play.:darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer:That puts a little light on the subject.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
i like 4" feathers . i did tried out some 2" fusions last year and was impressed with the flight. they flew broadheads very well.....just not as well as the feathers.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
blazers are ok, but give no real advantage... if you want advanatge, go with 4" feathers",, blazers have become popular,, but are not better than a 4" vane

·
Registered
3 Posts
blazers vs feathers and larger vanes

Blazers are smaller thus preventing mass amounts of drag. Giving you a faster arrow. they provide great stabilization and are on the cheap side. your 4 or 5" vane gives you the most stablization but is easier to wear out the vane because they are most commonly thinner than a blazer vane. I prefer the blazer vanes for anything outdoor like hunting or 3d. indoors its better to go with as much stabilization as possible like a 4 or 5" feather.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Smaller vanes require a higher arrow speed to be effective as well as a ligher broadhead(100gr or so) to work right. If you're shooting an older, slower bow or if you're going to be shooting a 125gr or heavier broadhead then stick with a larger vane. I'm using the stock 3 7/8" vanes that come on my Easton ST Epics and they seem to work pretty well with my older 248fps bow even with the lighter 75gr tip that I'm using. I'd rather lose a few fps and make sure my arrow flies right by having a larger vane then try to pick up a few fps and not fly straight. If you've got the money you can experiment a bit by getting arrows with different fletching lengths and you can try different point weights until you find what your bow likes.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks!

So the basics are that Blazers offer a bit more speed but less accuracy (mainly at lower speeds)? That's starting to sound like a common theme around a lot of archery gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts