Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first start off by saying I enjoyed the blood rush tonight. First I had 2 mature does and 2 fawns come by at what I thought was 42 yards, I always thought was 42. Well they were 35, my pendulum is good to 30 and I was aiming about 5 inches high. I shot 3 inches over her back and lost my arrow. It starts raining pretty good and I decide to get down and call it a night. I spend a good 10 minutes looking for my arrow, I tell myself one more glance and im heading back, well as I go to look, I look down the 20 foot wide path that seperates both corn fields and see 2 large bodys heading my way. Stupid me instead of hiding in the corner of the corn which has a perfect spot I run back to my stand 40 yards away. I get to the top, detach my quiver and the deer show up no more then 2 minutes later. Well I wasnt sure where they were going to come out seeing that I am in a giant field so I sit down. Well thats my mistake, out pops 1 fork horn, out pops another 4 pointer, out pops a small 6 and out pops my nice 8 pointer, about 120" or so. I decided right then if he gave me the opportunity I would shoot. Well have you ever wanted to draw and have 4 sets of bucks eyes watch you, I was shaking like a mug, well finally the big mature deer looks elsewhere and then the stupid little buck looks at me, I couldnt win for losing. Well I never did get drawn and tried to stalk them as they walked away, but each time Id get to within 45 yards they would start walking again. So I just gave up as it got dark, they didnt run or blow. I walked my way and they walked theirs. Deer 2.... Bdubedub 0.... they dont call it hunting for nothing... Ill get em.. :) Theyll make their mistakes!

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Can't tell you how many times I moved or did something silly when I should have just stopped in my tracks
and planted my butt by or behind a tree.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Well have you ever wanted to draw and have 4 sets of bucks eyes watch you,
I've wanted to draw on a doe before while having 14 others standing guard... then you hear the dreaded foot stomping the ground and turn only to lock eyes with her. Fun stuff.

Still early, you'll get your shot. :thumbs_up

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
I've wanted to draw on a doe before while having 14 others standing guard... then you hear the dreaded foot stomping the ground and turn only to lock eyes with her. Fun stuff.

Still early, you'll get your shot. :thumbs_up
I always get a kick out of the one that stares in your direction.
and you don't move
and it stares
and you don't move
and it starts to look away...then looks back at you quick
and you don't move
and it does that a few more times trying to catch you
and you don't move
:D :D

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Better luck next time. Experience is the best teacher.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I always get a kick out of the one that stares in your direction.
and you don't move
and it stares
and you don't move
and it starts to look away...then looks back at you quick
and you don't move
and it does that a few more times trying to catch you
and you don't move
:D :D
Those piss me off... it makes me feel like I've lost my freedom to move even slightly. Then you're thankful when they leave for having your freedom returned to you. :lol:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Stupid me instead of hiding in the corner of the corn which has a perfect spot I run back to my stand 40 yards away
O crap dude I haven't laughed that hard for a long time......I still can't compose myself that's a classic right there. Top notch....hopefully you learned something.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha! My heart was beating out of control, im not sure if it was the run and climb or the deer, I dont think Ive ever climbed a stand that fast in my life. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
...and to think, I've heard guys say, deer cannot see you up in a tree. HA! I had a double doe stare down match last night for 25 minutes straight. And then the big doe made her mistake. 22 yards. Q away. A Muzzy moment. 50 yard track. She prob. died in 5 seconds or less. 120 lbs dressed. I'm on my way to the butcher this morning. Ya see, I won the stare down, and she will be spicy stick. Tenderloins went to a promised, awaiting neighbor. It's all good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts