Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While most of us use cameras to see what's in our favorite hunting spot....they also serve as a deterrent to nosy trespassers. Using a mixture of real and fake cameras keeps them on their toes thinking they are being watched.

Made these decoy units for about $15 each. Housing is capped rectangular steel tubing with welded mounting brackets, one end cap is removable to allow access for internal components.

Light is a red LED flashing unit from Radio Shack with wire leads soldered to the battery holder. Three "C" cell batteries power the light, battery holder is available from any electronic supply store. (available for what ever size or number of batteries you prefer) Batteries can be changed by simply unscrewing the cap from the bottom. Smoked Lexan lens is glued into a pipe fitting, sensor is epoxied on the front for a little more realism. Dummy automotive phone antenna is attached to give it a wireless transmission look.

A little camo paint and attach some plastic leaves with liquidnails...and you're ready to install. They're high enough to prevent anyone from getting to close a look or messing with them. Light will flash about every 10 seconds, batteries lasted 5 months before needing changed.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Nice!

What an awsome idea. You know I have been plotting the same ideas. I was going to start buying up all of the cheap now 35mm trail cams for the same reason. Also work as good bait to catch the theives.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Should of put a No Trespassing sign and a arrow pointing up. We have one at our swine finishing unit that is a mile away from home but it is the real deal. Suprising who shows up at all hours of the night.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's a great idea!!! I think the only thing to make them better would be to place rocksalt bomb or a banking ink bomb in them!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
What would you sell me 4 of them for?

Texas aggie goddess

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, don't have the time to make more, hunting season starts in a week...priorities you know. Installed six of these last year and it had a real impact on the trespassers. Signs are posted on the property indicating camera surveillance, flashing light is enough to get their attention and make them wonder if they are on film.

You could make the same thing from a plastic box or something similar. The LED's can be had from Radio Shack, they may be able to get the battery holders too.

Battery holders are a panel mount design....available on the net from any number of suppliers.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I think a sign like this one under it would be great!

Great idea Rem!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thank you

Hubby is still in Iraq

Thought it might keep the horn dogs away.

TAG

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I think I may make some of these that trigger an air horn or pepper mace when they are removed from the tree. What do y'all think? Talk about coming unglued. Could you imagine? You want a video capable camera setup to watch theives try to steal one of those.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dummy camera

I picked up a Swan dummy camera at Menards for about 15.00.
I think I'll add a blinking light and antenna to it, and ger a few more.
Thanks for the idea's.

Leo

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I think I may make some of these that trigger an air horn or pepper mace when they are removed from the tree
I really think the air horn will only work if within close enough distance that you could hear it. and for the Pepper spray,. it might trigger a suit by the thief, I know it sounds stupid but the law will just about let anybody sue anybody. So if it were me, I would go with a nice bright floursent paint or a good douse of skunk cover scent. you might just find out who stinks or looks odd colored by word of mouth. then you can say, "Hey, I know where that come froim, want me to show you the pictures?"

can't hurt!

kevin

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I really think the air horn will only work if within close enough distance that you could hear it. and for the Pepper spray,. it might trigger a suit by the thief, I know it sounds stupid but the law will just about let anybody sue anybody. So if it were me, I would go with a nice bright floursent paint or a good douse of skunk cover scent. you might just find out who stinks or looks odd colored by word of mouth. then you can say, "Hey, I know where that come froim, want me to show you the pictures?"

can't hurt!

kevin
What would they tell the cop? I was stealing a camera and got hit by pepper spray. I think I would gladly go to court over that one. That is if they could find out that it was even my camera. I dont know who put it there but I dont even own one officer.:mg::darkbeer:

·
Registered
64 Posts
What would they tell the cop? I was stealing a camera and got hit by pepper spray. I think I would gladly go to court over that one. That is if they could find out that it was even my camera. I dont know who put it there but I dont even own one officer.:mg::darkbeer:
A dye pack and some rock salt would be the ticket:thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
What would they tell the cop? I was stealing a camera and got hit by pepper spray.
True, but the only problem with pepper spray or mace just takes a lot of eye flushing with water doesn't it? Where as a good dye paint takes some doing to get off. as does a serious skunk smell,

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Using a dummy camera as a trespassing deterrent is one thing....punishing the scurvy violator with it shows intent to harm, could be some legal issues here. (But it would be entertaining to see a few of them get theirs). :zip:

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Using a dummy camera as a trespassing deterrent is one thing....punishing the scurvy violator with it shows intent to harm, could be some legal issues here. (But it would be entertaining to see a few of them get theirs). :zip:
Why do so many people think it is so wrong to inflict personal injury on thieves? It would be just as easy or easier to rig a 12 guage shotshell to the camera instead of pepper spray. I wouldnt want anyone to actually be maimed or killed by the thing but mace come on people wake up. The effects of mace wear off after a little while even without water. Cops dont flush criminals eyes out right after they use it on an individual. Everyone in america seems to think that you should just let a thief be a theif. I dont get it at all. I guarantee that anyone would have one heck of a time puting me in jail or making me pay any medical bills for something like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts