Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas in a nice tough shirt to wear for hot weather off season work such as clearing brush and hanging stands?
Must haves
Durable
Breathable
Long sleeves

Nice to have
Collar
Insect repellent built in

Thanks

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Love...love my Columbia tamiami. I have closet full of them in long sleeve. Thin but tough. Air flow. Protection from the sun. Nice color choices. I wear them from everything from fishing, hiking to special occasions. I can't recommend them enough.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
i have some duluth trading company 100% poly long sleeves that look like rip stop material that i use for exactly what you are describing. one is going on 10yrs of hard use. aside from some stains, its in great shape.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Any ideas in a nice tough shirt to wear for hot weather off season work such as clearing brush and hanging stands?
Must haves
Durable
Breathable
Long sleeves

Nice to have
Collar
Insect repellent built in

Thanks
go to goodwill and by several, wear one and toss it on the line, use the next and so on. Let the sun and rain work it over...repeat as needed.

better yet...just use a light weight pair of coveralls. good luck finding any at goodwill, people who have them love them for working. Military Surplus has good ones.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Columbia look like a nice multipurpose shirt for a decent price.

I see Sitka has the hanger shirt that looks pretty nice
Anyone have any experience with the Sitka Hanger line?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I use a Carhart t-shirt and soak it in Permethrin!

NC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up getting a Columbia Bahama II shirt off ebay for cheap and love it so far for this purpose. It is durable, doesn’t get caught up on briars and is breathable. Next step is to treat it with Permethrin. Thanks for the tips I’d highly recommend the Columbia shirts

·
Registered
943 Posts
By far my favorite route for hanging stands and summer hunting work is a mesh bug suit. Ticks are a massive problem here and it works great. Spray it down with permethrin, put it over rubber boots, and duct tape around your ankles to prevent anything crawling up. Have even taped around my waist to seal the top and bottom portions in cases where the chance of ticks is even higher. Wear just a light pair of gym shorts and a tshirt underneath and you cant get much cooler. For reference even brushing up against a bush or tall grass for 1 second is enough for almost a guaranteed tick around here, with this method i hardly if ever get any. Throw in the lone star tick larvae (people mistake for chiggers, same deal though) and the woods here are a nightmare before the first frost in the fall. I try and avoid the woods as much as possible for this reason and try and get as much done in one shot as i can. Way more comfortable in this setup both heat wise and worrying about ticks wise.

·
Registered
857 Posts
By far my favorite route for hanging stands and summer hunting work is a mesh bug suit. Ticks are a massive problem here and it works great. Spray it down with permethrin, put it over rubber boots, and duct tape around your ankles to prevent anything crawling up. Have even taped around my waist to seal the top and bottom portions in cases where the chance of ticks is even higher. Wear just a light pair of gym shorts and a tshirt underneath and you cant get much cooler. For reference even brushing up against a bush or tall grass for 1 second is enough for almost a guaranteed tick around here, with this method i hardly if ever get any. Throw in the lone star tick larvae (people mistake for chiggers, same deal though) and the woods here are a nightmare before the first frost in the fall. I try and avoid the woods as much as possible for this reason and try and get as much done in one shot as i can. Way more comfortable in this setup both heat wise and worrying about ticks wise.
I may have to try this. They are a huge issue where I aam at also and I typically just wear pants and a long sleeve button downs sprayed in permethrin. This gets ridiculously hot when it’s 100°.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts