Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bettering the last.....
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres what i am after boots that will take a beating, waterproof and do not hold odor. I have had danners (us pronghorns), mucks (woody elites, armors and and arctics), newer Alpha burlys and some irish setter pack boots. I walk alot of rocks, creeks and brush stubble and am hoping to get more than a year or two out of these.

Let me know where you guys have found success that meets these criteria

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I can keep the Muck Artics fairly scent proof while keeping my feet warm to 20 degrees or so. My problem is late season when temperatures dip below 20. I would have to go with Elimitrax over good packs in the colder climate. They're a pain to deal with, but the only way i know to control scent.

·
Bettering the last.....
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump

·
Bettering the last.....
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really???

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I walk the same terrain as you described but I also came across old cut off cable sticking out of the ground, I try to steer clear of that now. I have had my mucks for 3 seasons now, it's my only hunting boot after September and they still look like new. Maybe you got a bad set of mucks.:dontknow:

·
Bettering the last.....
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have actually had the artic sports and the woody elites and armors. Get two year sout of them. My primary hunting property has a ton of dogwood (red pannacle and red osier) that gets bush hogged and the remaining stubble must be hell on boots. It has claimed some ATV tires too. The farm is in a program were different smal portions are cut each year so this condition is perpetual. The elites and arctics had chunks pulled.gouged out of the uppers....but all of them seem to take water in around the footbed. I have sprayed the artics w campdry....seemed to work for the one walk i used them on this season. I loved the comfort and fit of them...but trying to get a more durable pair for my next...

·
Bettering the last.....
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought Rocky was junk in the early 90s- and the ones that were not weighed a ton

Lowa? Crispi? Kenetrek? Meindl? If they had waterproof/scent eliminating models that would last I would be game

·
Registered
850 Posts
The only boot I trust is alpha burly sports. I get 2-3 hard seasons out of a pair. I'm pushing it to go the long. But they are totally scent free and comfortable, for a rubber boot. I don't think anyone makes a better scent free boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bettering the last.....
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rutman- What is the low end of your temp range (obviously w appropriate socks)?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
i just got some field and stream 15" waterproof snake boots from dicks sporting goods and so far really like them...as for being scentproof i cant comment on that since i was walking thru bayous and such hunting hogs, but they did keep my feet comfortable and dry

·
Bettering the last.....
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Feedn The Geese
12,210 Posts
ha yeah thanks. That boot is a SALTY price tag but if money is no issue

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

·
Bettering the last.....
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bump

·
Feedn The Geese
12,210 Posts
I put alot of effort in keeping my feet scent free. I don't think many people will kill trophy bucks with a bow if they don't. If you see does and yearlings smelling your trail to the stand; you'll be lucky to ever arrow a nice buck.
You should put more effort into thinking about how youre going to get where youre going and less into gimmicks

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
I've had great luck with Irish Setter boots. I have the Buck Tracker knee boots that are neoprene and leather. I've had them 8 years now and they just started leaking this year. I wear the hell outta them too- Deer hunting, coyote hunting, goose hunting, grouse hunting and Ice fishing. I would say they are durable!

·
Registered
26 Posts
although they are not scent proof you cant beat a good pair of Zamberlan boots. There not cheap but built to last check out there 1009 VIOZ TOP GT RR ( INSULATED) there like $350, but better than $150 or more twice a year Zamberlanusa .com

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Not dream seasons they are crap. I really like my plain old field and stream boots from dicks. Had them 4-5 years and they have one small leak. Itascas are junk too had mine a year and they both leak the the crease in the front of the ankle. Really like my lacrosse alphas and mucks. They have both held up well also.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts