Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I was concerned about what camo pattern I chose. Did everything match the background I was hunting, did I wash it in scent free, UV free detergent, did I store it properly, did I camoflage my climber and take care of it like I did my huning clothes? etc.

Now I see bows and arrows accessorized in fluorescent colors and an overall increase in the use of fluorecent pink in hunting clothes. Please don't get me wrong, my sister is battling breast cancer, and I am all for adding more women hunters to the ranks, but what happened to the conventional wisdom regarding camoflage, face paint, masks, gloves, concealment systems and the like? Or am I just too old and too conventional in my thinking?

I am looking to sort through the marketing hype and focus on results - your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

John

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Dont get to wrapped up in the colorfull things on a bow...I had a guy tell me last weekend I could never kill a deer with the bow I was shooting that day because it had flo-green strings on it. Something as small as that isnt gonna make 1 bit of difference...I'm not gonna go to the stand looking like I've been at a Rave all night but a little thing like strings or dampners isnt gonna matter 1 bit.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You're too old and too conventional in you're thinking, apparently, lol!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Yep, camo has its place but they (manufacturers) have done a wonderful job marketing it, so that people believe they need this and that.

In reality most of what gets hunters busted is movement, no need to overthink the camo, army green will work 90% of the time just as will a green plaid jacket. I just make sure to cover up my pasty white skin...lol

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Bottom line is that we can't really know with any absolute certainty what a whitetail actually sees through his/her eyes. I know science tells us that the number of rods in the eye and the way those are grouped together dictates how or if we see colors, but have any of you actually spoken to a deer and asked them which camo they have a hard time seeing.

My thoughts are if you match your surrounding colors then no matter who the animals vision works, you should blend in better than just wearing jeans and a t-shirt. That is just what my common sense tells me, but no one truely knows for absolute certain. I wouldn't pay a premium price for clothing just because the camo looks cool, but yeah I'm gonna continue wearing camo when I hunt.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I heard a guy at a bow shop say something about the new black bows being better to have then camo bows. who knows...

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Nothing wrong with being old school ....I like everything camoed up ...no Britte colors etc...If nothing else it makes me feel better,,I do go out of the way to tweak stuff like I like it ,part of the fun of hunting is getting your gear ready .Your right it is not like it use to be ...I add some tan dye to my wash water at the start of the season .Because, I have cotton camos and they fade some but, are soft and quite ,,,I like predator and army stuff ...I did my own test with dye vs the spray on UV killer under a black light they came out about the same ...as long as your camo will take the dye or UV killer...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the feedback - it just bugged me that that the camo companies seem to want it both ways - as long as we are paying for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts