Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience and recommendations regarding E-Bikes for Hunting applications. Having some knee issues and looking at this as an option to get me further into the back country then I may be able to currently walk. Have seen a little info on the Rambo & Quiet Kat models but know nothing about them, what size to consider or ideal power rating to consider. Would be using to get 2-3 Miles off road and out west I’m concerned about some cactus. Don’t know if they use the same slime stuff I ‘ve Used in 4wheeler tires to prevent flats or not. All info wI’ll be appreciated.

·
Crossbow Broke
9,847 Posts
I have a Rambo bike and love it. Its quiet and just plain fun to ride. Makes less sound than you walking. I bought my Rambo with a dealer on AT and got what I thought was a great deal. I have hauled deer, tress stands, and all kinds of gear with mine. The more you weigh, the amount of gear you haul, and type of terrain dictate the battery charge. If you do peddle assist you can really milk a battery. Put assist is no strain on your part so you still won't sweat in early season.

·
Bringer of truth
14,882 Posts
i was all set to buy on end then found out that I can not ride on on any of the public areas i plan to hunt.

I am still likely to get one, they are lots of fun.

The regular normal bike riding folk do like e bikers. Because they don't like to peddle and want instant gratification with no work....L.O.L.

Sort of the like the compound vertical shooters and cross bowers. Thats part of the issue here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a Big Cat FatCat. I use a Rambo cart. Once I realized the limitations, I really do like it. Off road on trails, it can be tricky. Rain/mud can be a draw back. The battery is a series of lith-ion cells with a electronic management system that can get damaged in wet weather. I was able to rework mine and continue to get service. I had hoped I could go anywhere anytime. Just not so. But I use it every season. Alot of public land closes roads during turkey season. It really shines for that type of service.
There are at least two types of pedal assist. One is cadence and the other is torque. Cadence is cheaper, torque is better. IMHO.
In TN if it is under 750 watts with a top unassisted speed of not greater than 20 mph it is considered a bike and can go anywhere bikes are allowed.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've used a modified cargo bike, much like a Yuba Mundo (my model actually isn't made anymore). I prefer the long cargo bike rather than dragging a trailer behind me, since it's narrower going through the woods. I believe I've seen a few cargo bikes that come electrified, but if you can't find anything suitable you can always find an e-bike kit and convert your own. Just a slightly different option to consider.

Good luck,
~E

·
Bringer of truth
14,882 Posts
right now the hotest e bikes models are the Radrover. I figure you could use thier fat bike model for hunting too.

The motor on the center crank is said to be the best for hunting , as opposed to the rear hub.

Radrovers are rear hub models though.

I am looking at buying the Addmotor Motan 1000 watt....because I want the fastest model i can afford........go figure.

·
Bringer of truth
14,882 Posts
BPM & BIKE TRIX

same thing, less money

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I'm in year three using an eBike on a hunting lease and it's my only motorized tool so I use it like a pack mule. 200 plus miles. This is Quiet Kat's Canyon model with the 1000w motor for pulling purposes.

I have to deal with thorns from Honey Locust trees which are lime 3" nails. I tried the typical solutions and would suggest you use Tannus inserts and forgo the disappointment of slime like products or tire liners. I had both at one time. Tannus.....

Don't buy a bike that won't have parts or customer support around in 2 years. There are a dozen low cost suppliers of decent bikes but if you plan to keep it and use it, buy from a reputable company.

Frame size and style are important. I cross trails that require e to have both feet at ground level for stability so a short frame works for me. Also look at my bike and you will see that swinging your leg over the back to get on is impossible. A step-through style frame may be a consideration.

After using two wheel light dusty carts I ditched the factory products and adapted a 4 wheel "Crawler". Best move for me for flexibility and ease of pulling.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I was going to get one of these to hunt public land. I called a DNR officer and was told sounds like you need better walking shoes. So that shot down that. He said i could ride a regular bike just no motor. Not that i can drive past any gates,but i got plates and now have a street legal SXS :). This makes it was better than driving my truck.

You guys got some super nice setups.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I have been using the Rad Rover Step Thru and am really enjoying it. Not cheap. Not super expensive. It works and has been reliable. The 750W motor gets me where I need to go without any problems.
2020 gobbler2 rover2.JPG

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have a backcountry that I got out of the archery talk classifieds. I love it. It has pulled the 200 lbs with no problems. Pa just made them legal and on Delaware public land you can used any ebike under 750w anywhere you can ride a normal bike. Just read the rules carefully. I put 100 miles on mine this year. Real game changer!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Timely post as I am getting ready to take my Ebike out on groomed snow trails...

Love my M2S All Terrain bike after a year of use. It has a 1500W mid drive motor and I have both 29" x 4.5" fat tire wheel set and a 27.5" x 3" wheel set for it. Have about 3K into everything. The fat tires are great for snow and beach sand, period. They are loud, raise the bike up a few extra inches, counter steer like crazy and use my battery up pretty quick (about 50 miles) since they are used in sub freezing conditions with assist level of 2 normally. I almost got rid of the bike because of the handling and 'features' of the fat tires. The 27.5" wheels are head and shoulders better under 90% of riding conditions. They allow the bike to feel and handle like a regular MTB and don't limit anything, except snow and beach travel under a few conditions. I also just about double my battery life and can run at assist level 1 most of the time. I hated the throttle and disabled it, too much power and kind of 'jerky' on and off response. Even got a cart for it, a Craig's list freebie kid carrier with full size bike wheels and a weatherproof top.

Never did actually use it for hunting but a lot of scouting blind set up, and trail riding was done with it. I have a few places where it's a 45+ min walk to my spot but my style is 'still hunting' so the bike stays home as soon as the season opens. It would cut down my approach time to 15 mins but not willing to give up hunting my way in and out to save the walk. Besides, I can always use the exercise.
If I was using it in the desert or where there were thorns I would definitely put liners in the tires or 'goop'. I thought that my Ebike would be used for actual hunting but it wasn't necessary for me. It is a blast to ride in winter on snowmobile and groomed bike trails and great to just ride in town and in the woods. My visions of cruising out in the dark to hunt never really materialized.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I have a RadRover e-bike and used the crap out of it this year...made things a 1000 times easier for sure..pulls my game cart (Hawk crawler) just fine...well worth the "price of admission" to me!

PXL_20201023_183515649.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts