Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunt in GA and I typically wait until mid Oct. to hunt. I'd like to get one in velvet, but the heat can be insufferable...and then there's the skeeters and ticks.

What do you wear in the heat of early season? I always hunt the wind, but I don't discount the benefits of certain scent control clothes & sprays. There is definitely something to the colloidal silver products, silver being a natural anti-microbial. Anything you can do to minimize your scent profile can't hurt for that one that comes in from the "wrong direction". We've all had that happen...more than once.

I've read where people wear shorts. Hell, I would too, but it seems like it would be even more difficult to control scent. And then there's that bug thing again.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm in GA too and hunt from opening day til Jan 1. I use Sitka gear. I have both last years Early Season Whitetail and the new Equinox pants. Was out hanging stands two weeks ago in them all day. As for tops I use their core crew top (either short or long sleeve). For the bugs I never hunt early season without my thermacell. I'll be wearing the same stuff in south Texas in two weeks for a fallow deer hunt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in GA too and hunt from opening day til Jan 1. I use Sitka gear. I have both last years Early Season Whitetail and the new Equinox pants. Was out hanging stands two weeks ago in them all day. As for tops I use their core crew top (either short or long sleeve). For the bugs I never hunt early season without my thermacell. I'll be wearing the same stuff in south Texas in two weeks for a fallow deer hunt.
Good info. I'll check that out. I think I just saw "Sitka" in the Cabelas Archery catalog that came today. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
If you want something good and cheap try Redheads All Season Enduraskin shirts. They are basically like under armour heat gear but for half the cost. For pants I just wear normal cargo style camo pants. The light weight materials aren't that durable. I had a pair of mesh paints that i wore enduraskin pants under, but they didn't offer much in the way of protection from briers and such. Of course you'll need a thermacell.

·
Team 11
3,005 Posts
Kuiu tiburon is the best for hot weather. It's like a mesh as you can see through the dot pattern of fabric. Not the cheapest though. I also like a lightweight merino shirt for the ultra wicking and breathability.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Mesh camo shirt and pants treated with permethrin, and a Thermacell. Still hot as can be but I stick it out. Our rut generally peaks the 2d weekend in November and by then it has cooled to a tolerable level.

Right now it is 99 degress and I'm questioning my plan to go pig hunting tonight--come on November!!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Shorts and tshirt under bug tamer suit plus thermacell
This +1. I hunted all early season in MS last year this way. If I was hunting a spot where I didn't have to wade thru the brush, I'd actually only wear shorts, a wicky t-shirt, and tennis shoes to the stand and put on the Shannon bug tamer suit once up in the stand. It's hot in early October in MS!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I wear a camo wicking T-shirt and something similar to this. I don't use the hood and still use my thermacell.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78022?productId=1290450&attrValue_0=Olive&mr:trackingCode=61BE0097-B0F0-E211-A497-90E2BA285E75&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mkwid=LatDFkUL_dc&pcrid=57704124560&qs=3091379_google&product=0MRW153006&cvosrc=cse.google.0MRW153006&cvo_crid=57704124560

My dad got it for a bear hunt in Maine for the black flys. It is the best thing I have ever used in the early season. If there is little breeze it feels like AC blowing through the little holes in the net. For pants I wear an light pair of zip off pants I picked up at walmart. The best part about these is I can unzip them at the knee part way and get some air while walking in and once in the stand until I cool off.

·
Vendor
26,459 Posts
Try this one guys and thank me later.
Take a 5 gallon bucket and put 2 cups baking soda and 2 gallons of water in it. Put your leafy or bug tamer suite in it and soak it while driving to the hunt. Put the wet leafy suit or bug tamer over a pair of shorts and head to the stand with a lit thermocell. The wind blows lightly and the wet suit feels like air conditioning. The baking soda helps cover human odor. By the time it gets dark the suit is dry and comfortable on the way home.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.