Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hunt missouri. i was just wondering what is everyones favorite things to hunt in the early season. water, rubs, soft mast, hard mast, trails, draws, funnels, bottlenecks, etc. what is your favorite go to spot like? when is your favorite time to hunt morning, midday, or evening? this is for everyone not just missouri hunters. i am just curious how everyone else likes to hunt early on.

i like bottlenecks and funnels by water and good mast soft or hard is big bonus!! problem is sometimes that perfect area is just hard to find.

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
acorns in the morning and food plots in the evening. I rarely hunt the same spot morning and evening. I try to limit hunting the same stand to 2 times a week.

·
Registered
804 Posts
my favorite spot is a small river crossing with crops on on side and bedding on the other it looks like a cattle crossing. :fish1:

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
I hunt natural funnels, bottle necks, & travel corridors all season. I also hunt big woods though so my tactics are different than farm land hunters.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Right now it is Urban season in Indiana --- So I am hunting 20 minutes from downtown indy!!! It is tough but we hunt river bottom scrub and corn fields.

As soon as statewide starts on Thursday (OH MAN OH MAN!!!!!) I will be hunting a hilly area near a creek -- essential the same area I will be hunting all year. I have a creek bottom, a large hill, and a sapling scrub area to choose from -- the wind lets me know....

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
neone else? seems like funnels are a common theme so far

·
Banned
99 Posts
I also am from missouri and have hunted here my whole life. I have had the most success doing pretty much what BOHO said, timber with acorns in the mornings and either food plots or bean fields in the eve.. Good Luck!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't know where to go

I have been hunting swamps/marshes, forest within 1/4 mile of fields, and middle of the forest in MD. I'm seeing scrapes near the field edges and in the forest 1/4 mile or less from the fields. The swamps/marshes are showing signs of heavy traffic and some bedding.

I hunt the marsh and middle of the forest in the mornings. The areas near fields are usually saved for evening hunts. Last year was my first year bowhunting and I wasn't lucky or skilled enough to take a deer. I've learned a lot since then. I'm really hoping to get some venison in the freezer this year.

BTW, what do you mean by hard and soft areas? Are you talking about the timber? Hardwoods and softwoods?

Thanks.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My favorite is hunting the evening on the edge of a foodplot. Thats where I have seen the most action early season. During the rut in the woods on funnels.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the barber, what i mean by hard mast or soft mast is the types of fruits produced by trees. acorns, hickorys and the like are hard mast. persimmons apples etc are soft mast. sounds like we got some field hunters in the evening during early season. i must ask. do you hunt fields for big bucks or quantity of deer? i know alot of people who hunt fields for nice bucks, but i never seem to see the quality ones out there like i do in the woods. maybe it is due to the intense pressure from my area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts