Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a nice buck on camera, a lot, and he's been very visible during daylight hours. I've seen him almost every time I've been on stand. However, he doesn't come anywhere inside of about 60 yards. Now I'm comfortable shooting at 45 and probably even 50, but 60 is too far. I've changed stand locations 3 times to get closer to him and, as you can tell by the lack of a sucess post regarding this buck, I've not gotten closer. Are there any suggestions to get this deer closer? Do bucks respond to calling or anything in the early season? Ideas? I want to kill this buck before gun season. Because he won't make it through. I'm about as certain as you can be for that. And I'm about half afraid of someone poaching him, too. That's been known to happen in my area.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
put time in the stand! I wouldn't call or anything. Usually early season whities are quite consistant with their pattern UNTIL they are interupted. If you are getting in and out undetected, then just keep doing what you are doing.. If you buggar it up, and he is big, old, and wise, you might not see him again... Just my 10 cents worth

·
Registered
467 Posts
I tried a decoy last week, had a big buck come in, but hang up behind brush at 30 yards, then he took off. The decoy was of a big buck. Just my experience!

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
I might try a little scent on a limb or tree around 20 yards out. Maybe apple, persimmon or whatever is in your area. Just peak his curiosity. Maybe even some vanilla extract.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I like the decoy idea, but put it behind you a good 50 or so yards so if he hangs up----you are right by him. Put time in............

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Make sure the deer isn`t seeing you in your stand. Have limbs or brush behind you. Check the wind. Good luck.

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Soft social grunts might pull him in. Give him 3 soft grunts about 1 second apart & odds are fairly good he might come check it out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been putting as much time in the stand as I can between work and kids. I see him both morning and evening, and I don't believe I've been busted in the stand. He doesn't even give me a glance when he walks by. He just doesn't walk by very close. :confused: I don't have a decoy or anything, but I may try a vanilla scent or something. I'm hunting right in the middle of a big patch of Oaks and they've been tearing up the acorns. I may try a soft grunt, too. I don't have a decoy unless a 3D target will work... :embara: Will it work?

·
Registered
599 Posts
My 1st buck ever I had a 3-d decoy out .Make sure you spray it down very good.It drew in a doe and then the buck came to both of them.

·
The Death of Many
2,738 Posts
Wear rubber boots and drag a rag soaked in vanilla across the oak flat and past your stand. Hang the drag on a bush in a shooting lane. Try not to touch anything with your hands while laying your scent trail. If the buck crosses the trail there is no doubt in my mind he will follow it. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts