Archery Talk Forum banner

Early season calling...anybody do it???

1063 10
Just wondering if anybody dose early season calling? I herd that a fawn bleat works good or is it to early yet? I plan on going out tonight and would like to give it a try but not sure if i should. The only call i got it that primos "great big can" call. Any suggestions or tips would b great!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,024 Posts
I used a can opening morning just a doe bleat. The Doe's just looked my direction and kept on thier trail. They didnt seem to mind it, so i'd say its too early for the cans. But i used my fawn in distress call last year and it worked fairly well early season for bringing in doe's. had a little spike come in as well.

· Registered
2,632 Posts
You MIGHT get a little response from a fawn bleat or some type of fawn distress call. But dont hold your breath...Try it a few times and see if anything responds. Or if you have action in and around your area but they are just nto getting close enough, you could give it a turn and see if it makes something curious.

95% of my luck with calling has been in the peak of the rut...Doe in heat can from primos and also the Primos true talker buck grunt...I called in 4 bucks last year in 1 morning from the same stand with the grunt. 1 literally nearly killed himself running off the hill trying to see where the grunt was coming from. But none ever got close enough except for the 8 point. But he was too pissed off about the grunt he heard to stop for me even after I gave him a couple hollar's. I grunted again and he came running back across my shooting lane at 87 miles per hour ready to fight.

· Registered
286 Posts
i had good luck using a fawn distress bleat early in our season (mid oct) distress bleated in 3 different does... all came high tailin it in , just never got to get a shot off... if they do come in they will be on high alert so be ready :darkbeer:

· Livin' in a van....
8,508 Posts
I've pinched my tru talker grunt tube at the top and gone crazy in the past. fawn in distress, and i've pulled in more than 1 deer. Only got a shot at one though. she fell 15 yards from where I let the arrow fly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.