Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I? It's archery season in NH right now, and although I'm spending the time in the woods, and have seen some does, I'm looking for things that will increase my odds of seeing the bucks too.

got the scent controlled.
got the smelly stuff under the blind.
got the sitting still part down.
got deer in the area.

But of course, I want to increase the odds. Calls? If so, which, and how to use?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Try a Digital call like the Phantom Whitetail. This call is awesome and sounds like the real thing. The movement sounds alone will put deer under your tree but when combined with the light sparring or whatever else you want to throw out there it could make a serious difference in the outcome of the hunt. Something to seriously consider, where legal. :cool:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I have had excellent results using either a doe bleat or a fawn bawl during early season. these calls work very well luring curious does in for a shot. The problem (if there is one) with using these calls is that the does that come in are very on edge and looking for what is making the noise. The does are very motherly and are coming to the aid of a lost/wounded fawn, so they are very jumpy. I use these calls until the first week of Oct with great results. After that time, I start using calls that focus on the bucks and start off with light antler tickling and light grunting. Once the last weeks of Oct come in, heavier rattling and louder, more agressive grunting starts. Once the rut is in full force, have fun with the antlers and calls, its a wild time out there!

When using the fawn bawl ( I use the Primos fawn bawl/doe bleat) you should put some authenticity into it, like a fawn that is being attacked by a coyote. The does will come running immediately if they are anywhere close. The Quaker Boy Ridge Runner is a great call that I use for all other sounds. It has an adjustable reed and its guaranteed not to freeze in the cold. Both calls are, in my opinion, the best on the market.

good luck.

Jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts