Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be leaving Maine Aug. 20th. for Co. Unit 214. This will get us there time to do some scouting and get a camp set up. What is the early conditions looking like at this time. Any info. on the area or advice would be greatly appreciated. We will be hunting the first ten days. From what I have been reading here at AT this may be a little early for calling??? Is my understanding that cow calling will work about anytime??? Thanks, Mel

·
Registered
196 Posts
elk info

hey i have a rocky mtn hunting and fishing mag it has all the outlooks and forcast for units for this year. its at work right now but if you send me your addy via p.m. i will photo copy it monday morning and mail you a copy to read up on. just let me know if you want it.

·
save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,033 Posts
www.elknut.com

go to this sight, his 3 cd set is like $30, and will tell you everything you need to know about how to call elk, early, late, in the middle, whatever.

i got his dvds (same info as the cds) this june and have learned more during that time than my whole life in the elk woods.
if your coming all the way from maine, this is a pretty cheap investment i think
brad

·
Registered
19 Posts
ghosthunter

Go to topomap.com and get a topographical map of the area your huinting. It has all the elavations, names of peaks and they has latitudes and longitudes. Get a GPS and learn how to use it. When you leave your vehicle progam it in your gps. Do the same for camp and hwere your gonna hunt. You do this and you can't get lost and you can walk to your hunting spot in the dark. Take plenty of water and or Gatorade the altatude is hard on flat landers and water/Gatorade will be your best friend. If any more questions write me back I'll be happy to answer them. I've been several time and have had good luck with elk. The heard is strong after the 3 year drought they had. Northwest is the best, has the highest population of elk. I'd go south of Craig abd east of meeker. Are you muzzleloading or archery?

·
Registered
19 Posts
ghosthunter

The conditions should be mild at the time you are going. I go scouting in Aug and the temps are between 50 and 80 in the day and 30 and 40 in the eve. Take a good sleeping bag. The weather can change like a rollercoaster so be prepared for anything.

·
Registered
137 Posts
unit 214 has an antler point restriction... must have minimum of 4 points or 5 inch brow tines. they really start to bugle the second week of september. make sure you prepare for all weather conditions from hot to snow...good luck :beer:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. Got a GPS this spring and have spend the summer learning out to use it. Already have the points of interest loaded. We got a few calling tapes and have been working with them. Cow calls good...bugles still need some work. The altitude is going to be a killer....here in Maine I live at less then 150 feet. Bow hunting we should see some elk. Just seeing them will made the trip worth it. Anything else will be a bonus. Thanks again. :) Mel

·
Registered
444 Posts
Good Luck on your hunt. We leave Maryland Sept.7th heading to unit-33
in Colorado. Am still trying to get my stuff ready.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Luck Mel...

Mel, I wish you the best of luck, and I have something you may be interested in. I'm in a business that pays me while I'm hunting or fishing and anyone can do it. I'm doing it part time and building it to a full time job. Can you imagine getting paid to hunt and fish? It's an awesome deal so if you or anyone reading this would like to hear more, drop me a line at my email [email protected] and we'll talk about it. You won't believe the opportunities to hunt or fish that will come your way once you join my team...Take care, Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts