Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IL deer season opens October 1st. how many guys will be hunting mornings and not just evenings? where do you focus your morning hunts? food sources? field edges? hardwoods? transition areas? water sources? how long do you stay on stand?

i've never been a morning hunter in the early season, but i think i might this year.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Pa season starts OCt 1 also, I'll be hunting waterholes, and food plots. I'll probaly set up about 50-80 yards off the food plot in the direction I expect them to come from. Often enough deer seem to wait til just about dark to enter the plots so this should give me an opportunity at them:) goodluck

·
Registered
430 Posts
I hunt whenever I can regardless of weather. With two toddlers and a full time Job I take what I can get. I prefer evenings but Have had decent luck in the mornings.

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,435 Posts
Early season mornings will find me hunting trails near bedding areas and other travel corridors. I find it difficult to hunt food sources in the mornings during the early season.

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
Mornings only initially. Gives me time to wait for the deer to die, plus not have to come out the next day only to find what the coyotes have left.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,210 Posts
evenings only for me unless the moon phase is right. ive found more often than not in early october you cannot beat them to bed. usually also, it gets so hot mid day i dont want to be in a giant rush to process one. if i shoot it late afternoon, it will likely hover in the 50s at most all night then i can get on it first thing at daybreak to get it into a cooler environment before it gets hot.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I like to hunt mornings better but I feel like evenings early season are more productive.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I love morning hunts. I hunt an acorn ridge. I don't even have to get up at o'dark thirty. they pretty much come through at about 7:30 all the time munching on acorns on their way back to bed from being in the fields all night. granted, it's mostly does and small bucks. none the less, for seeing deer and filling the freezer, it is an awesome spot. I see deer pretty much every time I sit.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I hunt both the mornings nd evenings and will be hunting on the edge of cornfields and hardwoods

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
It depends on the deer patterns at the time. Oct 1st could have the buck still on their summer patterns and if so I get into the timber between the food and bedding. if they are off that pattern it could be tough until the rut starts up.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,387 Posts
Opens here in 12 days. I see a lot of deer on morning hunts. I'm always in the timber, it makes up about 99% of my hunting area in MN.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I hunt any time I get, you aren't gonna kill anything sitting at home. Deer are not 100% set on a schedule, I have had many deer walk by at times when I never had them on camera at that time before.

·
Back down to ground level
16,099 Posts
Early morning, in the early season(ours starts this Saturday), is good for the first hour or two. They seem to bed after that, with bellies full of abundant food, and to keep cool in the hot temps. But, you never know for sure what a deer will do, or why.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
i have a few morning spots , most i dont hunt mornings becuase i spook the deer going in ...

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you can ,its nice to get way above food plots and other food sources so when they head for bedding areas your there.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
It's hard to tell. I checked my trail cams and found deer just recently moving between 12 noon and 4:00.

·
Registered
783 Posts
evenings only for me unless the moon phase is right. ive found more often than not in early october you cannot beat them to bed. usually also, it gets so hot mid day i dont want to be in a giant rush to process one. if i shoot it late afternoon, it will likely hover in the 50s at most all night then i can get on it first thing at daybreak to get it into a cooler environment before it gets hot.
at 50 degrees the deer starts to spoil, you might want to re-think that one

1 - 20 of 36 Posts