Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys hunt the mornings in the early season. In MD I have never hunted in the AM until mid October. I have been seeing a couple shooters in the field near my house on the way to work some mornings around 5:30-6:00. They usually funnel through a little area on their way back to bed where I am thinking of setting up opening AM. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I find that esp. when it's warm, the early morning is your best time to hunt, as the deer can be very nocturnal, and not start moving around much until after shooting light has gone in the evening. But that doesn't keep me from sitting in a stand.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:
I find that esp. when it's warm, the early morning is your best time to hunt, as the deer can be very nocturnal, and not start moving around much until after shooting light has gone in the evening. But that doesn't keep me from sitting in a stand.

I have to agree with SEO Bowhntr. He is dead on about the warm days and deer activity in the mornings vs. the afternoons. It is also great to witness the SunRise, and to see the forest come alive with all of nature! Mornings are a Great time to bowhunt anytime of the season.

Dave

·
Banned
144 Posts
It has always been my opinion, and others may not agree, if you are hunting inside the woods that day break is the best time to be hunting. I see deer every opening day as soon as it breaks enough light to see, when I hunt the hardwoods. Hardwoods in the mourning, take to the fields in the evening. Best of both worlds. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I agree with everyone here on this one...I like to hunt funnel routes in the woods in the mornings and on the field edges in the evenings...

As the season progresses I begin hunting fresh sign and bedding areas...

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,351 Posts
After reading you post I did a trail cam survey on my August pics. Forrest conditions with no fields near to draw the deer. 5 cameras on trails with no attractants. I didn't include any cams set over attractants. Just natural deer movement on their trail systems. Pretty even spread but morning gets a slight edge in this particular area. A mix of does, fawns and bucks. I was expecting more night pics. To answer your question, yes I hunt mornigs, it's my favorite time in the woods:)

34% morning pics, sunrise to about 10am
20% afternoon pics, 10am to about 3pm
28% evening pics, 3pm to sunset
18% night pics

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
morning is my favorate time to hunt no matter what time on the season. with the exeption of during the rut my best time during the seeking phase falls between 10 am and 3 pm. but even then i seem to see more deer before 10 am than i do after 3 pm.

but in all honesty i love to hunt to much to take either mornings or evenings off. if the seasons open i hunt both morning and evening don't matter what the phase of the season is. but yeah mornings are my biggest producer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts