Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you rattle during the beginning of your deer season, and have you been successful with it?

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
I have done it, but only to get a buck to investigate...otherwise he would have kept truckin' out of sight! That said, I like to try and hold off until mid October!

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Maybe in early season you could put socks over your antlers and imatate two bucks in velvet fighting:tongue:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have had bucks investigate a light tickling of the antlers in early season. I have also had luck using a fawn bleat early in the season as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Last year, opening morning I scraped my rattling horns on the tree I was sitting in attempting to mimic a buck rubbing a tree. I threw in a couple light grunts for good measure and within minutes I had two different bucks come out of the creek bottom from different areas. They saw each other and proceeded to spar right in front of me.
Unfortunately both were 1 1/2 yr olds and I wasn't interested in taking either one. But what a great way to start the season!

Two years ago first morning hunt of the season I was set up along a standing corn field and dense crab apple thicket. I tickled the horns together lightly and as soon as I was finished a beautiful 2 1/2 yr old busts into the corn field and is marching all around looking for the bucks that are sparring. He ended up giving me a perfect 20 yd broadside shot and an awesome start to my michigan season.

I'd say give it a try. just don't be too aggressive with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts