Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I set here bored thinking about next bow season ,I'm thinking in my head of past stand sets. It dawned on me I never hunt the corn crops. I usually hunt acorns just off of soybean fields . But over the past few years the farmers have started spraying the beans and I'm seeing less deer activity. Could I be over looking the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow with the corn fields ? The beans are still green , but sprayed to keep deer off and the corn is drying up in early season (September ) .
I'm from and hunt in Ms where both beans and corn are harvested by our oct 1st opener , but I hunt in Ky during sept and the fields are unharvested . Could a change of tactics to acorns just off of corn field be more productive ?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Isolated patches of acorns inbetween bedding and the primary food source would be good to hunt as you would catch deer snacking on the acorns on the way to the main good source such as corn, soy beans, and stuff like that. Usually this works pretty well.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
If you can find a spot on the edge of corn where they coming and going, then great. My farm alternates corn and beans every year, so it changes just a bit from year to year. Work the wind and get inbetween food and bedding.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Successful tactics for early season will vary a lot depending on how much human intrusion there is in that area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts