Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this really work?? I think some of you Wisconeers or Wiscononites or whatever you refer to yourselves as are living this process...

Curious on your opinions regarding it's effectivness regarding "nanny control"

Think it's time we Michiganders implement something like this in some of our
southern counties....... Getting tired or our 35:1 ratios or whatever they are!!

thoughts????

·
Registered
783 Posts
Maybe

Might work if you don't have large chunks of private land. It didn't work here in Wisconsin as you'd see some farms with a ton of deer and other guys seeing no deer on opening weekend.

The Wisconsin DNR was undressed the last few years as they proved to all of us that their "estimations" are no better than guesses probably influenced by the auto insurance industry.

Tim

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I think it works, just assures more does will be killed. I took an earn a buck doe Friday in NJ

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Earn a buck works very well. Just here in Wisconsin its worked so well everyone is fighting earn a buck so we can keep some does around. 4 years ago I would see 50-60 deer a night on some hay fields. Now its down to 6-10. So yes it works.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might work if you don't have large chunks of private land. It didn't work here in Wisconsin as you'd see some farms with a ton of deer and other guys seeing no deer on opening weekend.

The Wisconsin DNR was undressed the last few years as they proved to all of us that their "estimations" are no better than guesses probably influenced by the auto insurance industry.

Tim

We are in fact mostly private lands down here... Doe permits are readily available but very few take advantage of them.. How do we mandate doe harvest?? that is the question....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It really suck alot. The less does the less deer being born every year. It really kills the population quick. What happens is everyone shoots a doe each year to make sure they can shoot a buck. ONly some get a buck. Then the next year there is alot less does. every doe shot one year is leading to 2 fawns the next year then if one of them fawns is a does 2 the next years it really multiplys quick. Then you kill half the does in the area then half the fawns are born and the kill half the does the next year what you end up with is a does/ reproducting animals population being lowerest greatly. If there is only half the amount of does that means theres only half the number of buck born every year.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree with Tim 100%. I live in IA now but still hunt with my Dad in WI so I hunt in both states. I personally think it is a joke, hunters are going to manage deer the way they want. The last few years have been a free for all, killing as many deer as you want in some areas, so as Tim said, some areas have no deer left while others on private land are loaded. I am not exactly sure what the answer should be, but I am sure it is not earn-a-buck.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
i only hunt private land here and i have noticed the deer numbers go way down . but the area i live in and around is stricktly antler hunters. i feel that any deer is a trophy and we should harvest more does. i found it funny when the hard core trophy buck hunter was complaining that he had to take a doe first. it is that mentality that caused the earn a buck. i have some nice deer on my land and have taken a few over the years but i am cold blooded when a big doe walks buy, they will end up in the freezer.

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
I would like to see it implemented state wide in Arkansas. Our herd is to unbalanced.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
It really suck alot. The less does the less deer being born every year. It really kills the population quick. What happens is everyone shoots a doe each year to make sure they can shoot a buck. ONly some get a buck. Then the next year there is alot less does. every doe shot one year is leading to 2 fawns the next year then if one of them fawns is a does 2 the next years it really multiplys quick. Then you kill half the does in the area then half the fawns are born and the kill half the does the next year what you end up with is a does/ reproducting animals population being lowerest greatly. If there is only half the amount of does that means theres only half the number of buck born every year.
Its really a fine edge sword. If you kill to many does then you have low population numbers and that is unhealthy. But if you have a lot of people hunting for horns then they do not kill enough does and the opposite happens. You population gets unhealthy b/c its to big. Its easy to see that it does work at bringing down doe numbers but its a hard call to make as to how good it is for the population. I think deer population should determine whether or not the earn a buck program is used. High deer population times then it should be used bit lower population times (like now) then it should not be used.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
as far as the deer / car collison work that is my job. in the first year after earn a buck the deer hits where way down. i beleive in the earn a buck program but not the dnr's deer numbers.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Does this really work?? I think some of you Wisconeers or Wiscononites or whatever you refer to yourselves as are living this process...

Curious on your opinions regarding it's effectivness regarding "nanny control"

Think it's time we Michiganders implement something like this in some of our
southern counties....... Getting tired or our 35:1 ratios or whatever they are!!

thoughts????
If your state didn't charge $100 for a doe tag I'd be more than happy to come up there in gun
season and take a few. :thumbs_do:thumbs_do I'll spend the extra $38 and take a Mich buck ofany size.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Ill say this...i would much rather have EAB than have gun season in WI start a week earlier and cut into the last week of bow hunting and the rut...

EAB is fine if they do it maybe every other year...or tell us the season before so we can pre qualify like Ill shoot one this year so I have my buck tag for next season...

I think that WI wants the population down because of the Deer car accidnets...that is my personal opinion...

its less about the deer and more about deer crashes...but like i said that is MHO

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Maine has the same issue i tried to tell the state biologists that the doe permit system isnt working now they have possibly killed too many and due to last years snowfall deer may be extinct. i treid for AR too but the biologists said it would be too hard on the larger bucks and wouldnt increase the numbers. its a delicate balancing act we need to becareful of.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I think in theory it is a good idea

BUT

It needs to be reviewed EVERY YEAR

AND

be implemented/changed on a county by county basis as needed

·
Registered
220 Posts
For states with multiple antlered deer tags, I like the way VA does their earn-a-buck system in certain counties. First buck tag is yours, then you need to harvest a doe to get your 2nd, then a 2nd doe to get a third buck tag. For states with just 1 tag, I like being to earn the tag a year ahead of time too (08 and/or 09 doe kill gets you 09 buck tag).

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
we basically eradicated our deer herd in wisconsin,there are still a few farmsteads here that have good number of deer on the farmsteads and surrounding parcels,but these farms also have good acrage of cedar swamp,so that helps them out allot,if your high and dry in maple ridge you might as well go squirrel hunting

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
up here in northern wisconsin there arent any deer left. A few years ago the dnr was selling doe tags at $2 and you could buy as many as you wanted. One group of guys by us shot 19 deer 3 years ago durring gun season, The last 2 years they have killed 1. It really makes alot of sense to kill all the does so we dont have any deer for the future...Stupid DNR

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
up here in northern wisconsin there arent any deer left. A few years ago the dnr was selling doe tags at $2 and you could buy as many as you wanted. One group of guys by us shot 19 deer 3 years ago durring gun season, The last 2 years they have killed 1. It really makes alot of sense to kill all the does so we dont have any deer for the future...Stupid DNR
$2 doe tags is ok to get ppl shooting them
but unlimited $2 tags?! ***?!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts