Archery Talk Forum banner

Easiest, most quiet climber?

2693 32
looking into the Summit 180 Max, Lone Wolf Alpha sit and climb (both have been mentioned in other threads) and throw the Loggy Bayou Mega Transformer into the mix. All three look comfortable, so which one is the easiest to set up/ take down and most quiet to use? Price is all within $60 and weight is all within a few pounds so anyone have any first hand experiences with these? Any other worth looking into?
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,310 Posts
www.treewalkertreestands.com
Still in the price range, 16-18 lbs, goes around 26" trees biggest out there,all day comfort, climbs easier or as easy as any out there, no extra straps to hold seat on, no need for stirrups to climb.
5 models to choose from, plenty of accessories if you want them(not needed to use).
I have been using one for 3 years and have had no problems and IMO they are the best.
Do a search for them here on AT you will not find a negative comment anywhere.

· Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a LW sit/climb.......

and just bought the 180 Max. Used the Summit for the first time tonight.... Both stands are great, LW has a few more pluses... packing in, more quite and easier to set up, but when you park your butt in that Summit seat...... its pure heaven. But I don't have a sling style seat on the LW either, so I can't say anything about the LW sling style seat. I'm a big guy and there is plenty of room in the 180.

· Registered
148 Posts
i have a summit 180 max ss. i love it. its quiet easy to use, its very light. i dont think you can get a lighter more quiet climbing stand than summit.

· Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My cousin is trying to talk me into adding climbing stands to my little hunting business and also uses the summit 180 and is really pushing me on them. Just wanted to see how the Lone Wolf compared as if i do get into these, i definately want the best/ most popular stands that'll sell themselves lol!

· Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't remember which climber i have now, but it uses a wide (about 2 inches) steel strap with a rubber gripper on it that you got to fling around the tree and has holes in it a pin pops into. That damn thing creeks every time you shift your weight on it- not good! It's comfortable and light, but it otherwise sucks, but it was under $200 many years ago when i bought it. I learned alot about climbers from that darn thing- you get what you pay for!

· Registered
90 Posts

Summit 180 is what I use. Quite, versatile, and comfortable. No pins or bolts to worry about dropping and losing. Seat is adjustable, up/down (up for bow and down for rifle), in/out (comfort), and face away or toward the tree (love to face tree when I hunt places for long shots - use the cable and arms to brace your rifle/shotgun). Add bags with it to carry needed things in and you can stay all day. Lots of the hunters that has tried out my 180 has sold their API, ole man, and walmart brands for the Summit. I have never used the other brands that you have mentioned and I'm sure these are great stands, but you need to look at the versatility of each also..
God Bless!

· Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THIRDYPOINTER...That stand you're talkin bout is a Loggy buyou. I had one and it was loud.
I have the new Summit open shot deluxe. 15 lbs. and very quiet.
Thanks, i knew it was a "name" brand, but i sure wouldn't recommend it!

· Registered
3,271 Posts
Summit Open Shot

THIRDYPOINTER...That stand you're talkin bout is a Loggy buyou. I had one and it was loud.
I have the new Summit open shot deluxe. 15 lbs. and very quiet.
Open Shot looks good for quick set ups or long hikes in. How do you climb with this one though? I guess you sit with your back against the tree?? This would be the reverse of typical climbers where you sit and face the tree while climbing. Didn't see any foot straps on the platform in the pic either. :confused: Could be a pain to slide your harness attachment rope up the tree while you climb sitting with your back to the tree....?

BTW, I have the Cabelas Mega Bucks Stand which is made for Cabelas by Summit...it's basically a Viper SS and came with foot rest, gun rest, safety harness and megabucks DVD. Added just the foot rest and it's around 21 lbs and comfortable, quiet and user friendly. Got it brand new this summer for $219 shipped during one of their sales.

I noticed the rubber coating on the cables gets torn up pretty quick on these Summits. You can buy new ones for $38.

Wonder if I could get just the top section of a Summit open shot and use it with my viper bottom. hmmmmm.

· Registered
2,821 Posts
try a sit and climb, the old style seat is junk, but apparently the new style is suppose to be fairly comfortable. this thing packs thin and is very quiet to climb with. One thing to be concerned is if your taller than like 6'2" or so, than you might have a difficulty climbing, i am 5'10" and can up in the tree in about a minute or so(including setup time)

· Registered
1,730 Posts
If your looking for the most quiet stand than the Lone Wolf is the ticket. A no welded solid cast platform will always be quieter than a hollow frame welded platform, over time they will begin to pop and creek.

Though I do like the Tree Walkers posi grip system w/ out the need for the stabilzer straps.

· Registered
31 Posts
How secure do you feel in your old man? I have only used one once and thought I was going for a ride for sure. I could have been the type of tree I was on and I won't pass judgement having only used one once. It was definately comfortable once I got up in the tree.:zip:

· Cull-buck magnet
827 Posts
LW sit and climb

LW sit and climb is REALLY quiet and lightweight (although I added the footrests, so mine now weighs 20#). Summit is more comfortable, but more noisy and does not pack down small like the LW. Treewalkers look really nice, but they also look HUGE when packed down.

· Registered
5,465 Posts
Lone Wolf S&C is hands down the quietest stand made. It's the only stand with a solid cast aluminum platform that will not pop, creak, or make any other noises even at below zero temps.

It packs flat, is light, sets up quick and easy, climbs quiet, is solid as a rock once you get to your desired height and snug it down with the stabilizer straps. I have the sling Seat on my first Sit & Climb which is OK with me and this fall put the Bi-Fold padded seat on my second one. I did not like the way the Tri-fold seat that they had sat in the frame, it hung way to low below the frame. I have not tried the new seat in the woods yet but it was comfy strapped to a tree in the yard when I tested it out.

Everyone says the LW is so expensive, look at what other stands of similar quality cost and there in little or no difference. Oh I forgot there are no stands of the same quality!:wink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.