Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
There is absolutely no doubt it's the Snyper. Pretty much all mechanical heads are easy to open now a days, but the Snyper is the easiest just by design alone. They come in two models, the 2 blade version with the cut on contact tip that opens to 1 3/8" cut, and the new XP3 model with the bone busting tip, 3 blades and a 1 1/8" cut.

·
Registered
215 Posts
snypers

I have shot the snypers for two yrs and I feel they are the best head on the market hands down.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Snyper, period. Two blade version opens easier than three, primarily because the three has a chisel tip and (duh, I know) 1 more blade. The three blade still opens very easily. Another easy-opening head would be the Rocky Mtn. Revolution. Basically, anything that just has to slide back to open, as opposed to folding open (yuck), will be easier-opening.

Come tell us your success stories with the Snyper in a month or two! :thumbs_up

Best Regards,
Byron

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have done a lot of testing on this very topic. The Snyper is in the front of the pack. I am not sure which is easier to open, the Snyper or the Tekan. I personally think the Tekan may take the edge, but it is not by much. Both heads will open on a single sheet of note book paper. I have tested many heads this way. I put the point sticking straight up, and stretch a piece of notebook paper tight with my hands, then shove it over the point. The Snyper and Tekan both opened 100% of the time, even if I pressed the paper over them slowly. The Revolution will also open this way. None of the "jacknife" or Rocket style heads have done this for me. The Snyper seems to be the more popular of the two, but both are excellent. I think the Tekan has a much stronger ferrule, but it may have gotten a bad rap from the original Tekan. It seemed ot have a blade retention problem in hard materials like wood and steel drums. However, the Tekan II has proved to be a much tougher head. It penetrated all of the test materials in 5shot's test without losing a blade. I think the Snyper leaves a bigger hole in game though. The Tekans blades will flex in the ferrule a little if you push on the outside edge of the blades. This may help get through bone, but the Snyper's blades don't have any give inward once deployed. I killed a small hog with the Tekan, and it left full sized entrance and exit holes. I have not gotten a chance to test drive the Snyper on game yet, but a lot of guys here have.

Like I said, I think the Snyper and Tekan are extremely close in the terms of energy required to open them. I personally feel the Tekan is slightly easier than the Snyper, but honestly it is not enough to make one bit of differnece on game. Both are great heads.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ashadow315 said:
I have done a lot of testing on this very topic. The Snyper is in the front of the pack. I am not sure which is easier to open, the Snyper or the Tekan. I personally think the Tekan may take the edge, but it is not by much. Both heads will open on a single sheet of note book paper. I have tested many heads this way. I put the point sticking straight up, and stretch a piece of notebook paper tight with my hands, then shove it over the point. The Snyper and Tekan both opened 100% of the time, even if I pressed the paper over them slowly. The Revolution will also open this way. None of the "jacknife" or Rocket style heads have done this for me. The Snyper seems to be the more popular of the two, but both are excellent. I think the Tekan has a much stronger ferrule, but it may have gotten a bad rap from the original Tekan. It seemed ot have a blade retention problem in hard materials like wood and steel drums. However, the Tekan II has proved to be a much tougher head. It penetrated all of the test materials in 5shot's test without losing a blade. I think the Snyper leaves a bigger hole in game though. The Tekans blades will flex in the ferrule a little if you push on the outside edge of the blades. This may help get through bone, but the Snyper's blades don't have any give inward once deployed. I killed a small hog with the Tekan, and it left full sized entrance and exit holes. I have not gotten a chance to test drive the Snyper on game yet, but a lot of guys here have.

Like I said, I think the Snyper and Tekan are extremely close in the terms of energy required to open them. I personally feel the Tekan is slightly easier than the Snyper, but honestly it is not enough to make one bit of differnece on game. Both are great heads.
GREAT POST......JUST THE TYPE OF INFO I LOOK FOR ON HERE!! :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Try this

What blade wont open on impact? I am shooting with 70 lbs KE and shooting Whitetails with thick skin. Much thicker than any sheet of paper. Just my opinion. Shoot the bh's that hit the same mark as your field points and you make the right decision.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Not everyone is fortunate enough to get 70 pounds of KE with their set up. Some guys with short draw lengths need to conserve as much energy as possible. I know the Spitfire is an extremely popular head on this site and others, but it has proven to be one of the hardest to open heads I have tested. If it will open on a sheet of notebook paper, I am 100% they will open on contact, on anything. I know that an arrow out of a bow performs differntly, and at higher speeds they may very will open on game. The guy asked which head opened the easiest. Bottom line is the Snyper, Revolution, and Tekan take far less energy to deploy than any other heads I know of.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I just can't bring myself to use an open AFTER impact head. The only hole I am guaranteed is the entry. The animal can flinch, duck, step, etc at the shot, causing the shot to not hit the intended mark. What happens if you hit the opposite shoulder blade or joint and don't get a pass through? How are you going to blood trail the deer? It just seems risky to me. I have hit deer with an 79 lb KE set up before that stopped a 1 3/16th" head from making a pass through. Granted the arrow was sticking out both sides of the deer, but it didn't "zip" through and stick in te ground. A super large head may not have exited the other side, and with a lower KE set up, probably would not have exited the other side at all. In a perfect world I want 2 holes, in a not so perfect world I want to at least be assured of a full sized entry wound for blood to flow. A heart shot deer can cover a hell of a lot of ground dead on its feet. If there is no blood then what do you do? I don't undertand the logic behind the Hypershocks and Sonoran heads.

Pics of the test I did

The blades on the Revolution were dull causing it to tear the paper instead of cutting it. This test does nto say that a rocket won't open on contact, but it does show which head require the least amount of energy to deploy.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Snyper or the gator....no way possible that the gator ot snyper wouldnt open. Its not possible.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.