Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always debreasted my birds but I would like to pluck one.Is there any easy way to do this so I can cook one whole?

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's a lot easier to just skin the whole thing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I heard if you step on their wings and pull their feet most of the skin just comes right off along with the wings. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Straight Shooter
5,653 Posts
Whiplash said:
It's a lot easier to just skin the whole thing.
I agree completely.

After trying to pluck a few, I typically end up skinning them anyway because the skin tears so dang easily. Save yourself the effort and just skin them and cook them very slowly with lots of chicken and/or turkey broth and keep them covered the whole time you're cooking them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Scald the bird in hot water and the feathers will pull off easily! Heat a tub of water to 150 degrees.....Submerge bird head first and swish around for a couple second while holding it by the feet. Remove from water and test to see how easily the feathers pull out....If they still pull out hard do it again....Keep this up until they pull out easily.........OR UNTIL YOUR TURKEY IS FULLY COOKED:wink: Just kidding on the fully cooked part:D

The trick to scalding a bird is to keep the water at 150 degrees. Hotter that that and the skin get fragile. Colder and the feathers don't remove very easily........If you keep her at 150 it'll work slick:wink: :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
.to answer your question,.no i have found nothing easier than breasting out the meat. unless you want the full bird, then boil.btu still no easier then filleting the breast meat.........standing on wings an pulling on feet works great for grouse and pheasants, tried with a turkey and worked, but oh my goodness was it hard.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I agree with Bird Hunt and would only add that we put a squeeze of dish washing soap in the water, seems to help the feathers come off easier without tearing the skin.

If you want to smoke or deep fry the whole bird skinning is better. If you are going to bread and fry just skin the whole bird.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
melt a stick of wax (canning supplies) in the water when you scald the bird
clumps the feathers together. Lightly singe down with torch. Be patient and have a beer while you do it.

·
Only visiting this planet
4,216 Posts
Plucked two in the spring - one cold and one very warm. The cold one took a long time and was hard work. The warm one (fresh kill) took 5 minutes. My advice therefore is to pluck it very soon after the kill...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I dont even gut it.I just cut the skin back off the breast,cut both strips of breast meat off of each side of the breast bone and pitch the rest.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
raylandarcher said:
I dont even gut it.I just cut the skin back off the breast,cut both strips of breast meat off of each side of the breast bone and pitch the rest.
I know a lot of lazy people that do this and it always makes me :mad: .

You may want to check the game laws in your state, in most wasting game is illegal.

BTW: I always skin mine. Like stated before they fry or smoke well and can be cooked in the oven if you take your time.

I like to roast the breats in the oven with italian dressing and then boil the rest for soup.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Joe,
Then i guess i make you mad....why because i dont eat the legs?.....sorry bud i dont like dark meat!!!...besides takes up less room in the fressher and is more grill friendly that way, wrap it in bacon and motz and grill it....do eat the ribs from your deer, i dont....i guess you might want to call the NYS DEC they will laugh in your face.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
jgbennett6 said:
Joe,
Then i guess i make you mad....why because i dont eat the legs?.....sorry bud i dont like dark meat!!!...besides takes up less room in the fressher and is more grill friendly that way, wrap it in bacon and motz and grill it....do eat the ribs from your deer, i dont....i guess you might want to call the NYS DEC they will laugh in your face.
I don't throw game away, if I'm not goning to eat it I'm not going to shoot it.
If you don't like dark meat, find someone that does, give it to the land owner, if you don't feed it to someone you feed the anti's.

BTW, I just read your Bio. that was good for a laugh.

What type of archery are you into?:
Ethical

Biography:
56 whitetails harvested, been hunting since it was legal for me, and i believe that an animal should be harvested with respect.

It is neither ethical nor respectful to the animal to throw most of it away after you shoot it. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I used to save the turkey legs, clean and cook the entire bird.... seems we would only eat the breast anyways;) Now the legs go into garbage first, and I pluck and save only the breast. Never bothered with deer ribs. Guess I am unethical hunter:sleep: ... thanks for showing me the error in my ways... gonna have to sell everything and take up golf.

·
Registered
987 Posts
in your twisted mind its not ethical.....dont tell me my ethics and i wont tell you yours.ok throw away most of the bird...........uh i dare you to weigh breast meat vs. leg meat...tell me what the majority is.......oh yeah i couldn't give the legs away, tried before.....not too many people have the time to boil them down......oh yeah do you eat the ribs from the deer?..answer that......oh i should change my bio..its up to 68 deer... thanks for pointing that out ;)

oh and since we are checking out bios..............whats turkey hinting?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
ESMO-Joe said:
I don't throw game away, if I'm not goning to eat it I'm not going to shoot it.
If you don't like dark meat, find someone that does, give it to the land owner, if you don't feed it to someone you feed the anti's.

BTW, I just read your Bio. that was good for a laugh.

What type of archery are you into?:
Ethical

Biography:
56 whitetails harvested, been hunting since it was legal for me, and i believe that an animal should be harvested with respect.

It is neither ethical nor respectful to the animal to throw most of it away after you shoot it. Just my .02
well, I am the land owner and my family and I like the breast meat. I'd be hard pressed to find someone who would want the legs and other "meat" from a turkey. how is pitching it a bad thing? the worms gotta eat, same as the vultures. it all gets recycled back to the earth either way you look at it. if you fill your belly with your kill then it's ethical. stop the putting down of other hunters:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
jgbennett6 said:
Joe,
What is "motz"? Just curious.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts