Archery Talk Forum banner

Eastmans...losing it's charm?

9145 Views 105 Replies 60 Participants Last post by  THE ELKMAN
Anyone else feel that Eastman's is just becoming a bunch of old dudes constantly complaining about wolves, how much the departments of wildlife are wrong, and just finger pointing (especially in the staff/editor sections)?

If I wanted to listen to a bunch of old dudes bi^*&, then I would go to a nursing home.

Thoughts?

The member stories are still awesome, but, everything else just seems overly commercialized and critical.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

· Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to note I was NOT THE ONE WHO SAID THIS!!!! :wink: :chortle:

Don't need to go to the nursing home, just go to the bowhunting and general forums on here.

· Registered
2,912 Posts
I still like Eastmans, but I am an elkaholic and the two new elk magazines are awesome! I will keep my subscription to Eastmans. To be honest, I really just read the hunting stories anyway and don't pay much attention to the editorial section.

· Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is not called "Eastmans Wyoming"....it is called "Eastmans Bowhunting Journal" or "Eastmans Hunting Journal".

I understand that they need to talk about it...but there are a great many of us for which it is a non-issue. Wolves are bad, we get it, and I agree, but it is not something you need to bring up every issue, every editorial, every MRS. I would rather them spend that space on something more productive personally.

I guess you don't hunt Wyoming on a regular basis.

· Registered
8,146 Posts
I've looked at several different forums in the last 6 months or so. Imho the Western Forum right here on A/T is the best of the best. Who else has an interactive thread posted and designed to help elk killers and wannabe elk killers teach and learn how to call elk? The other forums are descent but loaded with gear type threads. I want more from a website and its all right here imho

· Registered
8,146 Posts
There is an "up and comer" web site i've enjoyed and will be watching too but for an archey and bowhunting site this is it.

· Registered
1,782 Posts
No, I prefer a magazine that has editors and leadership that dont sugar coat things and pussfoot around the truth. My only gripe is guys who just right for them now that came out of nowhere that have nothing to offer in there articles and just recycle stuff guys like Cameron Hanes, Nate Simmons and guys evern before them once wrote about. I really dont care what Adam Bender or Zack Bowhay think about a particular piece of equipment or how they exercise in there house and can take notes from the Eastmans archives to produce there own cookie cutter article.

· Registered
5,110 Posts
Personally I think it has gone downhill..Things i have seen
1) Guy is EXTREMELY unpersonable and comes off as a jerk...
2) They always talk about DIY I know they go guided and they are on some awesome ranches so they lose some credit
3) There were a few good people to choose from when the canned Cameron H. but they picked D. Long... He is relatively new bowhunter... again losing cred..
4) I don't think they treat their "writers" very well... Most are unpaid.
5) Did I mention Guy is a jerk??? I just refuse to pay for his trips to the KY Derby...

J

· Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I follow what you are saying but David Long is now gone as well... :nod:

I was thinking of cancelling my subscription but it is almost worth it for that elk hunt they give away every year in Colorado! :wink:

And yeah, Guy does come off as a jerk. In the last issue I got, when asked by a reader (for the reader's son who was under 14 I believe) about whether they pack their spring (or fall, I forget which) Brown Bears our, he said they did not. The reader's son asked if that was wasting meat, to which Guy said no it was not, and then went on to tell the reader to not let his son be brainwashed by the "liberal school system".

Ahem...Guy...there are some of us here in the West who promote hunting in the classroom... :doh:

Personally I think it has gone downhill..Things i have seen
1) Guy is EXTREMELY unpersonable and comes off as a jerk...
2) They always talk about DIY I know they go guided and they are on some awesome ranches so they lose some credit
3) There were a few good people to choose from when the canned Cameron H. but they picked D. Long... He is relatively new bowhunter... again losing cred..
4) I don't think they treat their "writers" very well... Most are unpaid.
5) Did I mention Guy is a jerk??? I just refuse to pay for his trips to the KY Derby...

J

· Registered
6,587 Posts
mmm, as with all employee.s of the hunting world....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....i don't care who you are or how involved you are......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....talks.......

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
mmm, as with all employee.s of the hunting world....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....i don't care who you are or how involved you are......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....talks.......
That's what I've noticed too. Nothing against Savage and Nikon, but I never thought I'd see the day come that an Eastman would be packing them.

· El Cool Arrow >>---->
11,058 Posts
For me its better then watching them stick whitetails 10 yards out of tree so... Money changes people and big horns seem to do the samething! Its not my favorite but its watchable!

· Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was speaking about the magazine...though their DVDs have been the suck lately (especially DIY or DIE!). Man, talk about a heavy title!

For me its better then watching them stick whitetails 10 yards out of tree so... Money changes people and big horns seem to do the samething! Its not my favorite but its watchable!

· El Cool Arrow >>---->
11,058 Posts
Well I signed up for double mag subscription about a month ago at least and have not gotten anything... I hope it is not a let down as you all have stated. I was looking forward to some of there Members Only Section/DIY!

· Registered
3,003 Posts
MRS is nothing great, can pretty much find the exact same thing on the states website. Staff is not great anymore and i don't even know where they found them. Extreme Elk & Elk Hunter are much much better. I'll drop my sub to Eastmans after this year.

· Registered
9,795 Posts
I let my subscription run out. It has gotten to the point where everything is a retread, and all the guys I liked, are now gone.
I AM interested in Extreme Elk and Elk hunter, as I don't give a flip about speed goats or mulies (no offense guys).

-ZA

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.