Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you guys that have used A/C/C's , how is the durability compared to a all carbon shaft? I understand the aluminum core makes for a more consistant spine, but I'm wondering if the aluminum will bend inside the carbon wrap and cause a loss of straightness?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, they will bend...though I have not had any bent ones yet. I think it would take something outta the ordinary to bend one. I did have one break last year when the buck that I just killed fell on it. Good trade as far as I was concerned.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wondering. I shoot Gold Tip Ultralight Pro 400's now , which is supposed to be as straight and actually a little lighter, but I have people suggest trying the A/C/C 's all the time. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Here's my take on the ACC 3-39 I used for 5-7 years.

They took many a beating and get tossed around quite a bit and chucked in the store room.

Over time, they have had repeated impacts against bullet-proof rubber (that cracked my ACEs) and have survived shoot-throughs at under 10 yards (54 lbs bow) to smash head on into a concrete wall.

None of them are bent. Onlt damaged the points.

But then again, these are batches from way back. I do not know what the material/quality is like nowadays. Also, I suspect that thinner ACCs with fewer carbon wraps may be more prone to bending.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
for me they've been the most consistent, durable arrow I've tried. :thumbs_up

great deals on used acc's, just be sure to get them in batches (same lot number) to minimize weight differences. I got lucky buying a used matched set early this year. If I'm building new I'll order 36 to keep 24 so beware there's someone elses dregs out there. :(

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
"I had a set of ACCs last me about two weeks until I had lifted the carbon in places off every single on from slapping them together. Got a second dozen and the same thing happened. They are rubbish."
Good chance an all carbon would explode on you with the same treatment. Start shooting a multi spot face before you hurt yourself or someone else. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
ACC's

I have been shooting the same dozen for about 3 years now and I only have bent 3 of them and there have been some pretty bad shot in that three years (i.e. boumced off walls floors and through ply wood none of which were on purpose) lol but they are pretty pricey. just my .02

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
What type of archery will you use the arrows? For unmarked yardage venues (such as 3D), you might want to go with the top of the line Gold Tips so you get the straightness. For field archery and other venues where lots of arrows are being shot at the same x-ring, Gold Tips may better because of price. For spots, ACC's may be better because they have more consistent spines. For hunting, the extra weight and KE in the ACC's are important.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can't Beat an ACC

Best arrows made. They are the most consistent and durable, plus they can be used for every type of shooting. Just change the points and fletchings.

I once shot a 25 target 3D tournament with the same arrow. I shot (If I remember correctly) a 252, which at the time was one of my best scores. At the end of the tournament I discovered the arrow was dented but I never noticed a single inconsistency in my shots.

Can't go wrong. IMHO. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
The A/C/C arrow is a good arrow but as stated they will and do bend , and for the money they cost thats not a good thing . Their straightness is .003 and for the money you can buy Beman Max 4 or Black Max and get the same straightness .003 for about $35-40 less ...

·
Member # 75
3,499 Posts
Hey man, if your threashold level of satisfaction is attained with Beman arrows compared to ACC arrows, go ahead and knock yourself out. Spend the savings on beer, girls, or whatever. It is a free country.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
tmarch said:
"I had a set of ACCs last me about two weeks until I had lifted the carbon in places off every single on from slapping them together. Got a second dozen and the same thing happened. They are rubbish."
New Tricks said:
"I had a set of ACCs last me about two weeks until I had lifted the carbon in places off every single on from slapping them together. Got a second dozen and the same thing happened. They are rubbish.

Are you two the same person?????? :thumbs_do

·
Registered
998 Posts
ACC's

The best arrow out there for hunting and 3-d, only wish they had a larger diameter for 3-d. They are extreemly durable, pull from the target easier than all carbons and have better tollerances than goldtips.
(My experince with gold tip pro22's recently leads me to beleive that there tolerances are not equivalent to X7 straigtness as advertized. But that is just my experiance after spending $250 with gold tip, im sure that if i had spent more the results might have been different so ive been told. :teeth: )

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Perfectionist said:
What type of archery will you use the arrows? For unmarked yardage venues (such as 3D), you might want to go with the top of the line Gold Tips so you get the straightness. For field archery and other venues where lots of arrows are being shot at the same x-ring, Gold Tips may better because of price. For spots, ACC's may be better because they have more consistent spines. For hunting, the extra weight and KE in the ACC's are important.
About all I do now is hunt and shoot at home. The 3- D scene in North Ga. has just about dried up and blown away. We used to have a half dozen good archery clubs in the 80's and early 90's that alternated weekends for shoots but I dropped out for a few years and now that I'm back there is nowhere to go. I don't know what happened. Right now I'm shooting Gold Tip Pro Ultralight 400's at 29'' draw, cut to 26 1/2" at 65 lbs. They seem to be fine for my set-up but I have heard that the spine is not as consistant as they could be.

·
Registered
769 Posts
New Tricks said:
I had a set of ACCs last me about two weeks until I had lifted the carbon in places off every single on from slapping them together. Got a second dozen and the same thing happened. They are rubbish. :thumbs_do

And all-carbon wouldn't crack too?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I shot acc for about 10 years. Yes they bend. It takes a lot to bend one though. If they get a ding in them from another arrow in a target they can explode on the next shot. You have to watch them close. They are also very hard to get the correct spine strength. They are one of the fussiest arrows for being spined exactly right. Thats why there is so many choices. I now shoot gold tips. A lot less money, just as accurate and more durable.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've shot them for many years with great success. They are the most
consistent arrow I've found and I've tried them all. Some of the carbons
weigh so inconsistent its a joke. However I do practice with Bemans as
they are the same weight as my ACC's and have found them to be one
the most consistent carbons I've tried. I wouldn't hesitate to use them
for hunting if I had to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.