Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I have a couple of easton acc arrows that say 3-18 on them. Around on the side of the shaft it has L series. I want to buy a few more of them but not sure if it is a 3L-18 or 3-18. I have seen the 3L-04 and it says it like that. Does the L series mean it is a 3L-18 or not? Thanks Leon

·
Registered
320 Posts
Very interesting !

I just logged on to ask the same question my friend. I have some older 3-49/390 series 'DR' now I bought some new 3-49/390 series 'DQ' I'm looking to find out the difference between the 'DR' & 'DQ'

Thanks ~ AA

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
I could be wrong but if I remember correctly the extra letters are "series" letters having something to do with "when" they were manufactured?

I think I read somewhere that the letters should match to ensure the best Matched set of arrows?

I know I used to shoot 3-49's a ton when I was really into the 3-d stuff, and I never even looked at the series letters. They always grouped good for me. (who knows though maybe I would have won more if they'd have all matched?)

Leon, in your case you would want to buy more 3-18's. NOT the 3L-18's I think the L in those numbers stands for "light" they are a lighter grain per inch...I think less carbon.

Again I'm just speaking here from memory, its been years since I've had anything to do with ACC's so i could be way out in outer space ;)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
...I am unsure myself so I would recommend calling Easton. I have called them a number of times. They have great customer support I would recommend calling them and asking. :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
The series is sorted by weight. All series "DR" would match weights within the given tolerances. Another series would be close, but not the same weight. If you have "DR", then stich with DR and your arrows will always match, no matter when they were made.

macatac

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
As mentioned, unless the arrows are specifically labelled 3L-18, I'd recommend purchasing 3-18's as well. The "L" would be the weight code, with all "L"s grouped by weight to fit the ACC weight tolerances. Just like the DQ and DR are slightly different batches by weight as someone else also mentioned.

If you plan on mixing old and new batches of arrows it would be best to try to stick to the same weight code, although 1 letter off may be close enough to not be noticeable if you don't have a choice. I've mixed batches before on some 2-18 Hyperspeeds that were 1 letter off and didn't notice a difference until I got out to longer distances (i.e. 80yd for NFAA field).

fyi, the 3L-18 I believe does use less carbon, or a lighter carbon, and is therefore lighter and slightly weaker in spine compared to a 3-18. 3 refers to the number of carbon wraps around the shaft I believe, so both use 3 wraps, just different weight.

>>------>

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
same,

All 3-18's are the same, all 3-49's are the same, the letters designate where they were manufactured/made etc. nothing more. You will be fine ordering them.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Interesting, since I'm fairly certain all ACC's are manufactured/made at the same Easton plant in UT, hence why would there be any need for different letters:confused:! Not to mention the folks I spoke with at Easton explained the letter codes as a means to differentiate the weight of the carbon used in the manufacturing process - nothing to do with where the arrows were manufactured:rolleyes:.

Though I do agree that for many applications the weight differences may be so slight as to not be noticeable/measurable for the archer.

>>------->

·
Registered
565 Posts
I group tested 2 different letters and they grouped differently.
My friend found the same thing.
One group dropped lower than the other one(weight difference)
How did I find this out?
The guy in the pro shop said"the letters make no difference,they will shoot the same".
He was gutted when I took them back.

Nightimer

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had the same thing. i constantly had 3 three arrows of what i thought was a matched set i had bought drop low. On close inspection i found that those three had a different dot reference on the shafts ( indicating a different batch) They were heavier than the rest. I phoned the supplier (a very well known retailer in the uk) but to my amazement they didn`t even know about the dot referencing on the arrows:mg:

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have 3-18 series DL and series DM the DL`s i got 13 yrs. ago and the
DM`s i just got i have no idea what the differance is and i never looked at the series letters till now should i pay close attention to that when i buy more?
thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have 3-18 series DL and series DM the DL`s i got 13 yrs. ago and the
DM`s i just got i have no idea what the differance is and i never looked at the series letters till now should i pay close attention to that when i buy more?
thanks
Try weighing them on a grain scale.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hello everyone today i called Easton and talked to Cody, he said the series
letters that are on the arrows are for internal use. thats the way thay track the arrows, each new batch of arrows (new batch of carbon) thay get a new letter or letters so if we have trouble with the arrows like cracks, or brake easy thay have a way to find when and what batch thay came from,
hope this helps you out

:usa2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts