Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently shooting easton fmj 340s...and i love them but i'm looking to gain just a tad bit more speed. I'm not a speed freak and i still want good penetration. I want to stay with easton arrows and i was looking at the st axis, st epics and a/c/c pro hunters...anyone with experience, which do you prefer? why?

they all seem pretty similar to me but i think the epics are a bit cheaper.

anyone with experience please share it....

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have tried many different arrows but, I ALWAYS come back to A/C/Cs. The Pro Hunters are a really solid and reliable shaft. Love that HP Insert. With that said, I have fletched up a few dozen Epics for friends and family and they have blown through some critters this year.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
For hunting I cannot complain about the ACC Pro, very consistent and just the right blend of weight. Very expensive but the pro's out weigh the cons.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would lean towars the axis. They are strong in my opinion and they are small diameter shaft which helps in penetration. I have also used epics but did not seem to like them as much they seemed to break too easily. As for the pro hunters well never shot them probablly since I could not afford them but I heard they are a good arrow also.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have tried many different arrows but, I ALWAYS come back to A/C/Cs. The Pro Hunters are a really solid and reliable shaft. Love that HP Insert. With that said, I have fletched up a few dozen Epics for friends and family and they have blown through some critters this year.
same here i keep going with acc's

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Easton Axis Nanos

Very tough, small diameter, thick wall, great penetration. Only problem I'm having is keeping the factory fletchings on them when I shoot them all the way through target bales at the range. They also fly vey well for me and like the X ring.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
If you can afford em

ACC Pro Hunters......
I am on the Easton staff, and I hunt mostly with Epics......basically a 2 dozen for the price of 1 deal...and shooting woodchucks and Coyotes, etc.., I go through a few arrows. I think the Epic is as durable as the Axis...with a better insert (same as the Pro hunter insert)....and they are accurate enought to shoot mid to high 40 X Nfaa 300 rounds.
I do think the PRO is a better shaft, and as durable as any. But most will never be able to tell.
Oh, for the record....we get the same shafts as everyone else does...so that is not an issue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies...from the feedback thinkin epics...all i'm doing is hunting no 3d or competetion. biggest thing i'll be shooting are those big Ohio bucks so I think for the money epics are probably the best deal, but if i happen to have $$$ fallin out of my a** anytime soon i might have to give the pro hunters a spin..but i doubt that :(:wink:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alwayslookin

could you explain to me why the inserts on the epics and pro hunters are better than the ones on the axis?

·
Registered
119 Posts
could you explain to me why the inserts on the epics and pro hunters are better than the ones on the axis?
im interested in the answer to this, too.... i like those HIT inserts.

i do have one caveat (something i learned the hard way): if you use the Easton quick-dry cement made for the HITs, MAKE SURE YOU KEEP THE INSERT MOVING UNTIL IT'S FULLY INSERTED. the insert will cement in place whenever it stops moving. i got a couple arrows now with about 1/4" of insert still sticking out. gonna use them as small game arrows...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Get a half dozen of each and see which ones you like better. Can't go wrong with either choice. Axis here for 3 years and still have the original dozen for my V-tec.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mjbrady i haven't tried the fmj400s just because according to all the charts i've seen i'd be underspined.. i do have older model axis 400s at the same length that i used with an older bow and i've shot them. they impact higher because of the ligher weight but my groups with them widen up quite a bit, even with fp's. i'm assuming it's because of softer spine. so i plan on sticking with 340's with a lighter gpi.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm currently shooting easton fmj 340s...and i love them but i'm looking to gain just a tad bit more speed. I'm not a speed freak and i still want good penetration. I want to stay with easton arrows and i was looking at the st axis, st epics and a/c/c pro hunters...anyone with experience, which do you prefer? why?

they all seem pretty similar to me but i think the epics are a bit cheaper.

anyone with experience please share it....
read the exploding arrow thread i started. dont know what speed you are getting but i'm getting 312 fps

·
Registered
12,895 Posts
I had an an Epic explode on me this year at Redding .. Now I will only shoot ACC's .. I like the reg ACC's a little lighter than Pro's.. I tried both. I bent the one I killed my deer with .. I was glad to ..:)

Like your thread it seemed to have been nicked and I didn't notice it .. lucky me it only cut my hand and didn't seem to hurt my bow but after the shell shock no more all carbons for me thanks

ACC's are so much more consistent for me downrange anyway

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
sorry for the slow reply.

With the Axis HIT insert, the shaft bears the brunt of the impact force, carbon is great , but not for repeated impact, there were a lot of people gluing 1/2 an inch of aluminum shaft around the end to reduce "fray" and increase the impact reisitance of the axis . Axis , if they are going to break, will do it right along the back of the HIT insert....this is rare and they break due to severe impact.....but they do break. The HP will usually just separate.....you re-inseret, check for damage and shoot again.
Good luck if you don't put an Axis insert in correctly.

The HP insert is more easily removed/repositioned if needed. Especially nice with the Pro Hunter, but you can do it with the Epic if you only heat a field point in the insert. It also has a longer bearing surface, so as long as the end of the shaft is straight, it will align better. The HP also is less likely to get glue in the threads, you don't need to squeegee the end of the shaft out with a special tool. Also, seating an HP insert is exact....you settle the flange down and all shafts are the same.....HIT inserts can and do vary depending on glue viscosity. You can rotate the HP while inserting it to ensure uniform glue coverage a lot easier than a HIT insert also. Their long bearing surface and design make them settle in the shaft well, so broadheads spin and balance easily. Axis tend to vary a bit more lot to lot also.

Don't get me wrong, the Axis is a great shaft. But it does not shoot any better than the Epic....and the Epic is cheaper and a lot easier to work with.
The Axis will take side impact a bit better, but they are not noticeably stronger in my experience.

IMO the Pro Hunter is the best C/A shaft ever made for hunting......but they cost like heck , and it would take an exceptional shooter to realize the accuracy advantages.

Hope this didn't confuse the issue.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
A/C/C Pro's or A/C/C you can't go wrong with either one :wink: ...
I use them for hunting and 3-D...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Go with the ST Axis 340's. I have had great luck with them. You will gain some fps just losing the fmj. I have killed a hog, deer and a yote all with the same St Axis.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
a1hoyt.ca

All the arrows you have mentioned I have shot but if you like the penatration go with the small diameter arrows they almost the same but you will get a bit more speed. This coming season I will be hunting with the ST. Epics N-Fused because they have better B.H. allignment then some of the other arrow you have on here prob. the same as the Acc Pro Hunter because they use the same insert setup which is why I went with the cheeper of the to shafts also carbon does not bend loike alluminum does. This past season I shot thru every animal I shot @ with my St.Axis N-Fused carbon arrows. Heck I was shooting the 340 Fmj. the year before & blew thru everything I shot thru its all about what you are doing with your setup. Good luck to you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts