Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking at purchasing some new arrows pretty soon, and I think I have it narrowed down to either the ST N-fused epics, or the ST Excels. These arrows have the same GPI, and I have been shooting the Excels in the past based on price. Is there really that much of an advantage switching to the Epics?

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Not much advantage to switching to the Epics but look into the Axis, you will get an advantage with them. They are very nice arrows and arnt all that much more than the Epic and you get alot more. IMO the Epics dont hold up well, I had several break on me from just shooting 3d targets, 1 actually blew completly. Coulda been a bad batch I dont know but I switched to the Axis and love it

·
Registered
865 Posts
Go with the epics. Best arrow on the market for the money. they are very durable and fly great. They also have very good penetration. I used to shoot the axis but they are too expensive and the only advantage they have is how slim they are. I hated the hit inserts. From my experiences it makes that end of the shaft the weakest part. Had quiet a few snap there. Never a problem with the epics. I'm glad I switched.

·
sdebrot
385 Posts
I like the epics better than the axis due to the front end protection. The axis would crush on impact with bone or a hard surface no such problem with the epics. I am tempted to try the excel for just everyday shooting as they are alot cheaper.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I shoot Epic N-Fused, and they are tough! I pulled a long shot yesterday and had one blow clear though a metal feed trough. Stripped the vanes off the wraps, but didnt hurt the arrow one bit.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've been shooting Axis N-fused arrows and cannot complain. There are quite a few archers that don't like the HIT insert, but I don't have enough experience with the Axis to complain yet. I've broken two Axis arrows: one with a direct hit on a piece of rebar securing a 3D target to the ground (bent the arrow at the tip) and the second snapped in half after hitting a branch on its trip to a 6-point buck (arrow somersaulted over the buck). I looked at Epics for my Longbow, but ended up going with the Beman MFX Classics. I suspect that I will have some Epics in my arrow arsenal in the near future to test. Based on what I've researched, I'd pick Epic over Excel.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have shot them all.The epics are a decent arrow but I found they don't hold up .I shoot alot.For the extra money the axis FMJ is the way to go.In the long run you will get way more mileage out of them and the penetration has no equal.Over the last 3 years I've shot an elk,2 moose and several bears all with the same arrow.Yes I've spun it and triple checked it before every hunt.It just seemed to be my lucky arrow and is currently in my quiver for this years spring bear season.The extra money you pay gets you an arrow with tighter tolerances than the epic and the excel.Good luck!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
lightspeeds are a great arrow, I use the fmj's for hunting and just got some lightspeeds for 3D, and i'll be testing them out on a tom here next week :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry guys, I am not switching to axis. This is a thread about the epics vs. the excel. I also want to put in that the epics are 30 buck more a dozen at my retailer. Is there really that much of an advantage? I have shot the excels before, and was extremely rough with them. I shot my first deer with one. They haven't let me down yet. I just don't have the money to be replacing expensive arrows all the time.

Epic vs. Excel.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would appreciate a little more input if possible.

·
Registered
754 Posts
My son and I shoot both the Axis N-Fused and the Epic N-Fused, we both like the Epics the best. I shoot the Axis for Deer Hunting because they are a little heavier. This season I plan to buy some Epic N-Fused Camo, which is heavier for Deer Hunting. We shoot a lot and have had no problems with the Epic.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use to shoot the older axis arrows with the h.i.t tech but I have been shooting the epics a couple of years now and really like them ,accurate, durable, and
they shoot straight, that is if I do my part.

·
Cowhorn Killer
1,604 Posts
I was shooting the st epics and excels, I could tell no real difference, maybe the epics a little tougher. I shot them mixed together and never could tell a dif in grouping either. I am shooting the lightspeeds now and they are not as tough as the epic/excels.

If you are hunting and 3d, I see no down side to the Excels and no up side to the Epics

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I shoot both year in and year out.
Deer, hogs, bear, even frogs.
I rarely break one. For the price, just buy two dozen EXCELS and you will be set for a couple seasons. Heck I shot my best 3D score this year with the epics. They shoot the same though, so I say go cheaper and cut both ends off the shaft to get them as straight as possible.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
never shot the excels but I have no complaints about the epics. they have been tough arrows for me.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I think that there is really not much difference in the two arrows. I guess I will stick with the excels. Thanks guys!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts