Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to get some help on which spine I should buy, I’m looking at running the 50 grain brass insert with a 100 grain broadhead. I’m shooting a Traverse at 29 inch draw and 65 lbs. Arrow will be cut at 28.5 inches CC. Thanks, according to Easton’s chart, I’m on the edge!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I’ve been shooting both sizes off of my two NBA ETX 35’s, 70# 29.5” draw.

One setup is 28.5” 340s with standard aluminum insert, 12 grn footer, 100 grn head, total weight of 422 grains shoots at 291 FPS.

the other is 28.5” 300s, with 50 grn ironwill steel inserts, 25 grn footer, 100 grn head, total weight is 506 grains shooting at 270.

both tuned easy and shoot great off my 70# bows. I can’t imagine you’ll have a problem with your 65# rig. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ps: those long heavy inserts change the sound of an arrow differently than adding a heavier arrowhead will. Basically the thread of the head plus the extra long insert stiffen up the end of the shaft and make it act like a little bit of a shorter arrow. I think you’d be fine with either or.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ps: those long heavy inserts change the sound of an arrow differently than adding a heavier arrowhead will. Basically the thread of the head plus the extra long insert stiffen up the end of the shaft and make it act like a little bit of a shorter arrow. I think you’d be fine with either or.
im hoping to stay on the lighter side GPI but I also would like perfect arrow flight so I’m thinking more of the 300

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Either will be fine - but increasing your tip weight softens the spine...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Either will be fine - but increasing your tip weight softens the spine...
I am very familiar with that so that’s why I think the 300’s might be the better option, anyone else agree with this? I would love to run the 340’s to get my TAW down but I think they might be too weak and not tune well

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I shoot a V3 30" draw, 62.5 lbs. 28.75" Axis 340 arrow with the 50 grain HIT. Total arrow weight w/wraps, fletchings 487 grains. Not a problem and excellent arrow flight.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
I agree with Dale, I think you could shoot either one, my specs are close to the same as you and I shoot both, I shoot the 340’s with aluminum inserts with 125 heads and the 300’s with the 75 grain brass inserts with same heads.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I would go 300 bc you’ll have less issues over spining than underspining from my experience.

I shoot a rig similar to yours and both spines have worked with heavier heads... but the 300s seem to group just a bit better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,384 Posts
Always remember, if you have to ask, go stiff. This is especially true for hunting situations.

Reactions: midwestarcher98

·
Registered
41 Posts
I run a v3 70 pound, 29 draw, using 340 axis, cut at 28 carbon to carbon, rest set at 13/16. 75 grain outserts, 100 point. Bare shaft out to 30 yards.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts