Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a big difference in durability between the two? I’m aware of the bending possibility on the fmj. Anyone have any problems with the axis arrows?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The axis are pretty damn solid. Think I've only broken 1 or 2 both my fault completely. The arrows can take a beating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I have shot the Axis arrows since they came out. I don’t have any idea how many critters I have killed with them or how many dozens of them I have bought but it’s been a bunch. If you chamfer the end and install the insert correctly it’s as tough as any arrow out there. I have tried shooting the fmj’s and I just can’t get over them bending myself. I have 6 FMJ’s right now and 4 are good and 2 are bent. I have about 2 1/2 dozen Axis fletched up right now with the regular HIT insert. I also have 2 dozen Axis fletched up with a 50gr brass insert. It’s the best hunting arrow out there for the money in my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the axis arrows are the ones to get. Why do they offer so many different diameter arrows? 6mm 5mm etc. Is it to shave weight if someone wants a lighter or heavier arrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
276 Posts
I switched over to axis since the fmj bend like explained above. The smaller diameter is for less wind drift and better penetration. You can make them heavy. I’m building some 300s match grade with 75gr hit insert and 100gr head that weigh just over 500gr. Slinging them at 270fps. Gonna hit hard.

·
Registered
22,535 Posts
I have shot the Axis arrows since they came out. I don’t have any idea how many critters I have killed with them or how many dozens of them I have bought but it’s been a bunch. If you chamfer the end and install the insert correctly it’s as tough as any arrow out there. I have tried shooting the fmj’s and I just can’t get over them bending myself. I have 6 FMJ’s right now and 4 are good and 2 are bent. I have about 2 1/2 dozen Axis fletched up right now with the regular HIT insert. I also have 2 dozen Axis fletched up with a 50gr brass insert. It’s the best hunting arrow out there for the money in my opinion.
WHS (What He Said).....new AT acronym. :wink::wink:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I actually went to FMJs because I kept breaking Axis...now this is just my personal experience. As far as them bending, I've yet to have an FMJ bend, even after hitting a few things I was not intending too. I feel a lot of bending potentially comes from when people yank them out of targets, forgetting they're not carbon.

That being said, I shot well with both and am currently thinking about giving Axis Pros another go around.

·
Registered
307 Posts
How can an fmj bend? It is a carbon core wrapped in an aluminum jacket. Shouldn’t it only be able to dent not bend because of the carbon core?

·
Registered
147 Posts
How can an fmj bend? It is a carbon core wrapped in an aluminum jacket. Shouldn’t it only be able to dent not bend because of the carbon core.

No they definetly bend, I still think they are great arrows though And I never have to worry about splintering or having the shaft snap if damaged.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ive has mushroomed arrow from hitting wood. Missed the target lol. I know that most arrows do not withstand those kinds of impacts. I have bent them tuning bareshafts. Never had an issue bending them pulling from target. They do pull easier so that’s a bonus!

·
Registered
22,535 Posts
I actually went to FMJs because I kept breaking Axis...now this is just my personal experience. As far as them bending, I've yet to have an FMJ bend, even after hitting a few things I was not intending too. I feel a lot of bending potentially comes from when people yank them out of targets, forgetting they're not carbon.

That being said, I shot well with both and am currently thinking about giving Axis Pros another go around.
As mentioned, I've shot Axis shafts for years and never broke one that an animal didn't fall on.....and that only happened twice because I normally get pass through results. Shooting into foam, bag targets, 3D's, Rinehart 18-1, and animal flesh....they have proven tough, durable and accurate. Never split one behind the head in the "dead space" formed by the HIT either????

·
Registered
215 Posts
I’ll keep using the FMJ’s killed a lot of animals with them and had no problems.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I use both, the fmj is essentially a high priced aluminum shaft, if you're not careful they can bend. The axis shafts are better for building proper (at least for me) FOC. Axis shafts are a good bargain.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've had 3 dozen axis and broke quite a few my issue was robin hoods or getting crazy distance and missing the target but overall very durable main issue was me not the arrow and I've had 2 dozen of FMJ injexions never robin hooded one. just broke a couple nocks. I have however broke 4 injexions and bent 1 3 bent or broke from hitting the ground or a rock after blowing through deer 1 broke after trying to get a pass thru both shoulders on a mature buck and the other bent when I was bare shaft tuning from a distance I prolly shouldn't have tried my arrow slapped the target sideways that is the only arrow I've bent

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
I mimic so many comments already. Really a aluminum vs. carbon discussion rather than model.

I shoot aluminum x27 indoors. FMJ hunt. Carbon velocities outdoors field/3D. Carbon arrows are just tougher...more resilient arrows! They don't bend. They maintain decent tolerances.

I'm fazing out aluminum.

·
Registered
735 Posts
As mentioned, I've shot Axis shafts for years and never broke one that an animal didn't fall on.....and that only happened twice because I normally get pass through results. Shooting into foam, bag targets, 3D's, Rinehart 18-1, and animal flesh....they have proven tough, durable and accurate. Never split one behind the head in the "dead space" formed by the HIT either????
As I mentioned, just my experience. I loved the performance, but maybe I had a faulty batch for durability. I’ve never had an issue with FMJs, while others state they’ve had one or two bend. Nature of the beast, we’ll all have slightly different experiences.

Can’t go wrong with either!

·
Registered
47 Posts
been shooting camo axis for several years with good luck until this past season. had 2 break on 1/4 shots exit out shoulders. had 2 splinter behind tips. . if you miss a target or shoot thru a deer inspect them very close to make sure they did not split or splinter. I had a cracked one in my quiver and didn't know it until I could not get it to fly right.still very tuff shafts!went to buy more new ones and found out they no longer make a camo arrow..

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I shoot both, but have had better luck with the axis shafts as far as surviving less than optimal impacts. I've shot both into a fence, the Axis pulls out ok, the FMJ can't compress and usually breaks off at the insert/ bends/ has other permanent damage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts