Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting a Hoyt Carbon Element...28 DL...29.25 arrow length...62 lbs...HHA sight...fuse whisker biscuit..Scott release
My question is which arrow is a better hunting arrow...spline is 390 on ACCs and 400 on the Flatlines...100grain point
Flatlines weigh 356 grains ACCs 426...I know the kinetic energy favors the ACCs but my question is will the flatlines do the job
on an elk...I like the flatter trajectory...Thanks for any input

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I shot both with my element and like them both. I went with the flatline surgical 400. You need 42 t0 65-KE. for large game \Elk,Bear. 25 to 41 for deer. Shooting 290 fps with a 340 gr. arrow I get 63 KE. They will do the job plus some.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I shoot 340 Flatlines and i just ordered another dozen. From what I have shot and put them threw, they are tuff, light and accurate. If you go to eastons website, they have that calculator that will tell you if its recommended. I like speed and the flatter tradjectory. People want a heavier arrow to penetrate more, if it goes fast less likely to misjudge and your still gunna hit with enough KE to kill what you want anyway.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I shot both with my element and like them both. I went with the flatline surgical 400. You need 42 t0 65-KE. for large game \Elk,Bear. 25 to 41 for deer. Shooting 290 fps with a 340 gr. arrow I get 63 KE. They will do the job plus some.
Like bowmanxx, I have shot both and went with the Flatlines but in the 340 spine. They were both good arrows and I have shot both for 3D (outdoor and indoor) but ended up going with the Flatlines this year. They seem to be a very consistent arrow and they fly well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input...gonna shoot the flatlines tomorrow...I tend to like faster as well...

·
Registered
464 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
A/C/C pro hunters are the best hunting arrow ever made IMO.... consistent spine, consistent weight, perfect blend of speed and weight for penetration. My favorite!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I went from a CX piledriver to a Flatline 400 D.O.A. and gained alot more KE using the same 100g broadhead with more velocity from the Flatline.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you think my arrow length should be shorter? If so why...

·
Registered
464 Posts
A good ref. is that your arrow should be around 1" - 1 1/2" past where your arrow rest touches the arrow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shot the flatlines today...liked them...chronographed 19 fps faster...but I expected that...lighter by almost 70 grains...
okay...mechanical or fixed broadhead with the lighter arrow?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Never shot the flatlines, but been hunting with the PH 340 since they came out. I love the PH, but they are HEAVY. I'm not a fan of a real heavy arrow, as much as speed. Both arrows are great, but would suggest the flatlines over the PH for you. But if your into the heavy arrows, then PH can't be beat.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I hate to see someone use a light arrow on elk. I know it will work under ideal circumstances, but elk are so big that the small difference in trajectory doesn't seem to be worth it IMO. For lighter game like speedgoats, however, give me the lighter arrow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay... what about going to125 gr. broadheads? the best of both worlds? thanks for the input guys...I am hooked on archery...trying to get it right

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
The ACC is a legendary performer for sure!!! I'd opt for their heavier weights especially when hunting larger game like Elk.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have been shooting bows for a while. I like the Flatliners for price and performance. I have researched and ask many times what is the best hunting arrow. I my opinion the AAC is the best hunting arrow made. It is the best because of consistency in spine and weight, that produces accuracy, and that is name of the game shooting broadheads. The 3-49 would be the best, 390 ACC Pro would be second.
I shoot a 29.5 draw length and a 27 inch arrow, with a Schaffer Gen II, ACC Pro 390 at 430 grains. I do not care about speed for hunting, because I am hitting where I want.
The bow I am using is a Hoyt Maxxis 35 at 61 pounds.
i would consider the Flatliners if you could put a heavier insert in the front or use a 125 grain head.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I am shooting a Hoyt Carbon Element...28 DL...29.25 arrow length...62 lbs...HHA sight...fuse whisker biscuit..Scott release
My question is which arrow is a better hunting arrow...spline is 390 on ACCs and 400 on the Flatlines...100grain point
Flatlines weigh 356 grains ACCs 426...I know the kinetic energy favors the ACCs but my question is will the flatlines do the job
on an elk...I like the flatter trajectory...Thanks for any input
I shoot a 30" shaft @286 f/s weight 412grns, ke 74.85 ft/lbs this is with a 66lbs bow. you need to be careful with going over 280 f/s bh start to plain @ 286 mine are lazorbeams and hit like a mack truck.

You really need to cronograph your arrows with a shorter dl and running less pounds than I am your speed is going to be a fair amount slower need the speed in order to give you best advise. 356 grns @ 250 ft/s = 49.42 ftlbs of energy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anyone want to chime in on broadheads? Fixed or Mechanical? Should I worry about mechanicals failing with th lighter arrow?
How about 125 gr broadheads? Would the added weight be a good compromise?
thanks for all your input guys

1 - 20 of 30 Posts