Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some Easton FMJ that I need to set up. I need to cut about 3” off for my draw length. The problem I have run into is they already have the HIT inserts installed. I can cut the arrow past the old insert, so no issues with that other then having to buy new inserts/epoxy. My question is can I cut the arrow on the nock end with no issues? Also if I cut the nock end; the fletching's will be 1.5” from the arrow label. All the arrows I have had made before this the arrow labels have been in the center to 2/3 away from the insert end.
What should I do?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
If it where me, I'd cut the nock end and refletch. Quick and painless.

·
Bears Den Precision
3,634 Posts
Actually, for the best results as far as straightness and spine retention, I would cut 2" from the insert end, then as stated above put in a field tip and heat to remove the inserts, then cut 1" from the nock end. Arrow straightness and spine measurements are best toward the center of the shaft, so by cutting some from both ends is always best.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The inserts SHOULD have been installed with the included epoxy. You would have to get them pretty hot to get the inserts out, too hot for my tastes. Cut the nock end and reflech.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Just a basic question. Why would you leave the insert in the shaft and cut from the nock end, changing your FOC and tuning? Heating an insert with epoxy can change the integrity of the carbon and the aluminum, and as an anal archer I would never feel right about the shaft. Just cut the shaft from the insert end.

Best of luck and good shootin'.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Why not just cut the insert end off and put new inserts in? Might cost a little more than reusing the old insert, but it seems like much less of a hassle than stripping and re-fletching.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I'd try to get those HIT inserts out. Have you tried the drill bit method yet? That normally a works for me getting regular inserts out. Not sure how well it would work with the HIT inserts. I love my FMJs but I HATE the inserts

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I'd try to get those HIT inserts out. Have you tried the drill bit method yet? That normally a works for me getting regular inserts out. Not sure how well it would work with the HIT inserts. I love my FMJs but I HATE the inserts
You can replace the HIT inserts with the half-outs from GoldTip Kinetics. Once done with trimming, try using the Ferr-L-tite blue stick low temp glue.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Cut from the nock end and remove labels with Goo Gone Extreme!!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input so far. I will probably do the cutting this weekend so I have a few more days to decide what I will do.
But I am leaning toward cutting the 3" from the insert end and buying a tool/insert/epoxy kit. I have done a little research and seen more people say they would not heat the insert if epoxy was used. I do not have the insert-tool so I would have to buy one anyway.
I agree with the straightness and spine retention stated by wolbear
Also bownutt2 ask a good question does FOC and tuning change by cutting from the nock end?
Thanks again for the suggestion

1 - 12 of 12 Posts