Archery Talk Forum banner

Easton FMJ vs Easton Axis

3431 47
Which do you prefer?
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Full Time Novice
10,983 Posts
Axis.

ONE of the properties good or bad of a-luminum is bending. Archers paradox is the natural bending of an arrow. FMJ's dont last as long. Ask any pro theyll will tell you that you can shoot the spine out of an arrow. personally believe this is true with the FMJ seen it and done it. Pay attention to some of Hanes old videos and others that use FMJ's heavily how many spare boxes they have in the background.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Axis.

ONE of the properties good or bad of a-luminum is bending. Archers paradox is the natural bending of an arrow. FMJ's dont last as long. Ask any pro theyll will tell you that you can shoot the spine out of an arrow. personally believe this is true with the FMJ seen it and done it. Pay attention to some of Hanes old videos and others that use FMJ's heavily how many spare boxes they have in the background.
That is definitely something to consider. I use FMJs and they often get bent after shooting them through deer. Do you re-use your Axis arrows after shooting something?

· Registered
Mathews VXR, SKRE Camo, Tract Binos, Sevr Broadheads, Easton Axis 4mm, Tac Vanes, Gas strings
24 Posts
guys will swear that fmj are tough and the dont been but then complain and say ford trucks arent tough because its made out of aluminum
LOL that was a good one! I drive an aluminum ford. I also just bought the Axis long range 4mm arrows. Carbon all the way.

· Registered
765 Posts
My progression has been FMJs, to Axis, to Hexx. I build the Hexx about the same weight as the Axis, but higher FOC. I will cast my one vote for “yes I bent and dented the heck out of FMJs, and a dozen didn’t last long bc eventually many had wobbles.” Of those two I prefer Axis.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My progression has been FMJs, to Axis, to Hexx. I build the Hexx about the same weight as the Axis, but higher FOC. I will cast my one vote for “yes I bent and dented the heck out of FMJs, and a dozen didn’t last long bc eventually many had wobbles.” Of those two I prefer Axis.
Do you find the Axis or Hexx ever have problems with pass throughs compared to the FMJs?

· Registered
765 Posts
Do you find the Axis or Hexx ever have problems with pass throughs compared to the FMJs?
I struck out last year, so can’t comment on the Hexx. I didn’t have any issues with pass throughs with the Axis… any arrow in that mid 400s to mid 500s grain weight will not be an issue. If you hit a bone 600+ could be helpful but if you hit vitals moderate weight arrows get it done. The Hexx with FOC buries into the target as good as the others, but Hexx are hard to find right now I think. Axis is a great hunting shaft, if you’re nervous get higher spine and put weight at the point.

· Registered
980 Posts
Out of those 2 the axis is better imo.

I really like the pro comps though... kinda like a reverse fmj. Carbon outside , aluminum inside.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts