Archery Talk Forum banner

Easton FMJ vs Easton Axis

4103 Views 47 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  MIKEY CUSTOM-G
Which do you prefer?
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Elitist
6,232 Posts
I’m saying the FMJs will get small kinks and bends if you shoot groups and are whacking arrows with other arrows. I know I shouldn’t shoot groups then but when I’m shooting my 3d target I’m shooting groups. It’s a risk I take. The axis won’t ding or kink in that scenario.

· Registered
3,389 Posts
I've killed a ton of animals with fmj's, great arrow but like mentioned above they bend, I wanted the same weight as my 340fmj's so I went up to 300 axis with a 50 gr brass hit insert, they came out close, just a touch heavier

· Registered
16,168 Posts
I bought 6 fmj’s and they were all bent pretty quick, shooting a new 18-1, never again

I like shooting sage rats over east in the spring too, and they get mangled doing that. Between the two, axis all the way for me.

The fmj is at the very bottom of my list… I know many swear by them, and hopefully they keep working for those who shoot them, but I hate them. I would rather shoot straight aluminum, at least they are cheap to replace

I have been shooting BE for a couple years now, but prior to that it was axis with the brass hits, I think they are one of the best hunting shafts made, and if you make footers out of the right size aluminum shafts, the ends will not broom out no matter what, and it reinforces the weakest point on an axis (which is plenty strong without)

· Registered
6,213 Posts
Axis 100% between the two. I got a dozen FMJ’s when they first came out. It took no time at all before they all had a wobble just from shooting foam, swore I’d never drop another dollar on them. The aluminum shell is too thin IMO.

I’ve been shooting Axis (in one form or another) since then. They’ve been a great, moderate weight, durable hunting shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Gold Supporting Archer
11,688 Posts
I’m 100% FMJ and have never bent one from practicing.

I believe in my heart you bend a FMJ in practice you’re a butcher and need not even try to use such an arrow shaft.

I generally use bar soap on my shafts and pull from the base of the target, never bending the shaft. Pull straight out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 48 of 48 Posts