Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going back and forth between these 2. The Hexx has a lower tolerance at .001 vs the 5mm at .003.

Anyone have experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you are looking at straightness only, they now make a .001 Axis.

The Hexx can be built as a lighter, high foc arrow if you want (brass inserts). The Axis is a much heavier arrow all around that can also be built with good foc with the brass inserts, it will just end up weighing more.

Both arrows get a lot of positive press and are said to be durable. Not sure if one is more durable than the other but the Axis is a very tough arrow.

I’m currently shooting 510gr Axis arrows but I’m also looking at going with a lighter set up for next year with the Hexx at 430gr. I used to shoot Da Torches (same shaft as the Hexx) and they were great arrows.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Really depends on the type of arrow you're trying to build here.

If you're looking for a flatter trajectory, that Hexx is your answer.
If you want a heavier better penetrating hunting arrow, I'd go with the Axis 5mm. Easton does offer the Axis in a match grade (or pro level, however they market it) with the same .001 tolerance as the Hexx.

My new 3D arrows will be the Hexx this year, and my hunting rig gets the Axis 5mm with a 75gr brass insert. Both arrows are amazing for what they are ment for.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I kicked around both before settling on the Axis. Wanted just more overall mass weight and wasn't worried about a lobbing trajectory at longer ranges. Both proved very durable however.

·
Registered
23,259 Posts
I've shot Axis for years and have wondered at times if a lighter gpi shaft with more FOC that would yield the same overall mass might be of benefi??? However I have a bunch of X nocks and have had very good results with Axis for both daily shooting and hunting, so I end up shrugging my shoulders and sticking with Axis. If you do a comparison, I would be interested in hearing your findings.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I shoot both. I have shot the Axis 340 with a 50gr brass insert for quite a few years and they worked great for hunting. I shot
the 330 hex shaft last year with the 75 gr brass insert. The finished weights of both arrows were within 5 gr of each other.
Both arrows blow through deer, but the Hexx is a more consistent arrow in both straightness and spine. The Hexx is more
versatile since it's a lighter grain per inch shaft. You can use a lighter insert and make a faster 3d arrow or use the heavy
brass inserts for a heavier higher foc% arrow for hunting just by changing inserts. It's easy if you use the low temp hot melt
glue.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I’ve shot both for several years now, very similar to what highwaynorth does, only in 480 and 400 spine. I used Hexx shafts one year for hunting, but switched back to axis for a heavier overall arrow. I don’t generally take shots over 30 yards where we hunt, and the axis have been very good for me. The Hexxs make a GREAT 3D shaft, and that’s another reason I went back to axis for hunting. I turned all my Hexx shafts into 3D arrows. You can’t go wrong with either arrow. It all depemds on what you are looking for.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Hexx 330 28 inch 75 grain brass insert overall weight roughly 426 grain

·
Registered
512 Posts
Axis would be a much tougher shaft ultimately based on the weight (wall thickness).

I've shot the Hexx for a couple years and think it's a fantastic do it all shaft for a lighter GPI setup. I just wish they made a 300 and 250 spine shaft for the high FOC hunting applications...

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Hexx for two reasons (predicated on I’m shooting 60 lbs 29” DL)

1. I can build a 330 spine arrow for my setup with 9 grain to 75 grain inserts and have blazing speed or max FOC penetration and be FAST or fast

2. With hexx I have inserts with shoulders that butt against arrow shaft and don’t have to put full faith and trust in adhesive holding a HIT insert, I’ve sworn off all arrow shafts that don’t use inserts with shoulders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts