Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
4everbowhunting said:
i need ideas for some easy camp food for 5 people. We all are to bring 3 dinners and three lunches for 5. any suggestions? :embarasse
Big crock of chilli works well with us. Easy to heat up (or eat cold if you have to) and the scent lock suit stays nice and warm on those cold mornings. :wink:

Peanut butter works great for lunches...quiet...packs easy...just need water to wash it down with.

Package of hot dogs is pretty easy. Sticks for cooking with are practically everywhere (or you can use my favorite trick..a little cub blow torch that packs in your bag. Quick and hot food on stand or in camp.

bon appetit

·
Registered
77 Posts
www.heatermeals.com ....... They're easy to use and taste pretty good, heatermeals are way better than the freeze dried stuff and it's way easier than cooking a meal. You cook it in it's own box( it comes with its own heat element, its all self contained) and you have a hot meal. It's been a few years since I used heatermeals( we used them on 3 pack in elk hunts), the turkey was good, the lasagna was good but didn't cook all they way to the core. The breakfasts sucked , but maybe the have improved.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You cooking or packing it?

Red Beans and rice the easy way.

3 or 4 cans of Kidney Beans
1-2 onions, chopped
1/2 to 1 bell pepper chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, or a table spoon or two of the minced stuff
4-5 green onions
2-4 links of smoked sausage, I like Savoie's Hot Pork Sausage, slice it up

Put a dribble of olive oil in a pot
add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and wilt them
you can add the sliced sausage to this or brown it in a seperate pan and add
(I like doing it in a seperate pan to cut down on the oil and fat in the meal)

Add the red beans and enough water to bring it a level so the beans are all covered

Add some cajun season or red pepper to taste and a couple bay leaves.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 mintues

Stir in the green onions the last 5 mintues

Sounds like a lot of steps, but it is real easy. You can dress it up however you want by adding more spices, bacon, ground sausage, hamburger, etc.

It goes really well with cornbread. I like the mexican cornbread cooked thin

It also freezes in ziplock bags well and can be cooked ahead of the trip, frozen, and packed in.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Foil dinners: potatoes, onions, carrots and burger or other meat of choice. Wrap it all up in foil and throw it on the coals of a fire to cook.

Pizza Mountain Pies: Two pieces of bread buttered on the outside and put in various fillings: pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni, etc. put it in a Mountain Pie maker and toss it in the fire. I am sure there is different terms, but I call them mountain pies.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
It sounds like you have some good suggestions. Gumbo is a staple in our hunting camps. But you can't forget about dessert! Something easy is Mexican S'mores. Here's all you need:

Flour tortillas
Peanut Butter
Chocolate ( I use a Hershey's bar)
Marshmellows

Spead the PB on the tortilla, break off a bit of chocolate and put on top of the PB with a few marshmellows. Fold the tortilla and then wrap it in foil. Put it close to the hot coals of the fire until the chocolate and marshmellows have melted.

Pray for milk. They are very rich.

Bon a'petite!

Jamie (JF's wife)

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
JFWILHELM said:
It sounds like you have some good suggestions. Gumbo is a staple in our hunting camps. But you can't forget about dessert! )
You can also use the Mountain pie maker for that course. Bread and some apple or cherry pie filling and you're good to go.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I like to Pre-cook some things, wrap em in foil & freeze. Then at camp, just toss over (or into ) a campfire for a few minuets.

BBQ ribs, already cut into singel ribs & sauced work great.
A whole tri-tip, cooked rare and thin sliced.
BBQ cut up chicken.
Make up a few foil packets of asst. veggies with butter & seasoning.
A few premade & sliced garlic bread loafs.

It tasts like you spent hours cooking, because you did, but it's fast and easy in camp.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
You can't beat good homemade spaghetti. I'm not talking about the Ragu mess, I talking the good stuff. I carried 6 quarts of sauce I had cooked at home along with uncooked vermicelli noodles to Pike County last year and made 10 folks mighty happy. Chicken gumbo with sausage is also hard to beat. Carry these things frozen and thaw when needed. For sandwiches carry some wraps and fixings.
Dave Nowlin

·
Registered
326 Posts
I dont know if you have a dutch oven but I love to make cobbler or dump cake if you will.
1 box white cake mix
2 cans pie filling
2 sticks butter
1 bag of wallnuts
Just dump in the pie filling, pour the cake mix on top, sprinkle the nuts over then slice up the butter and spread it evenly around. Cook for 30-45min at 350.
By the way each brick of coal is counted as 25 degres.
Also I like to make a roast before I go and soak it in bbq sauce. Make great sandwiches.

·
Registered Elker
7,716 Posts
While camping with some friends 2 weeks ago, a buddy brought these freezedried meals. You would boil water then just drop it in the top of the bag it came in and let sit for 10 minutes. Simple and were really good. I think was had lasanga if I recall correctly. He said they all were pretty good except something called a peasant omlette

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.