Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this has been posted before, but I know how sought after chrome cams are, especially hoyt cams, but for we southpaws, they're not easy to find. Well, I wanted to re-finish my Vantage X8 which was red ember, so I stripped the anodizing off the riser with EasyOff oven cleaner and thought, why not do the same to the cams?? Gotta pop out the bearrings, which is tricky, but after that, simply put the cam in a "wife approved" tupperware bowl and sprayed in enough to cover the cam and Viola! 30min, a little scrubbing, some dawn dish soap and a little satin clear. Simple, "Chrome" cams!

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
looks good.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Looks pretty good.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Ya, I was searching all sorts of auto paint and metalurgist forums for how to strip anodizing and they all said EasyOff was the old-school stand by. All I did was lay it on a trash bag and sprayed it one side at a time. The anodizing literally wiped off. It leaves a little residue on the bare aluminum and it's tough to get into the little nooks and crannies but I used a brass brush on a dremmel for that and used a 220 sanding sponge for the rest. Fun project, actually.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Liquid draino also does it, its the lye in the solutions that cut the oxide layer off. I'd keep an eye on the wear of the cams tho. Hard anno creates a thin oxide layer than is much harder than the softer aluminum. That hard oxide layer is what they dye to get the color of anno. I've stripped paintball markers before and without the protective layer on the tubes inside the bolt and hammer does some pretty bad stuff to the body. To the point I had to trash one body and get a new one.

Actually DIY anno isn't really hard to do. Basically clean battery acid, a battery charger, plenty of plastic buckets, clothing dye (RIT dye) if you want color, and some safety stuff.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some of the guys on the other forums said that, too, so I have been looking into a product called KG GunKote which is a bake-on metal finish. They make a ton of colors, but I'm looking to keep it close to the bare metal.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You can home anno it clear, you just don't add dye to the first rinse. If I could figure out how to do it at 16 y/o surely its not that hard, lol

Oh and it does look good, wasn't just trying to pee in your cheerios about the wear problem. I hate to see somebody do all that work then in a 100 shots have to replace the cam.

·
Registered
394 Posts
sweet color everyone will like chrome if you want to go to the max power coat it no polish needed alo does anyone know how to get a older redline cam smaller than a 4 to get to 27 in mines is at 29

1 - 11 of 11 Posts