Archery Talk Forum banner

Easy way to find heavy/stiff side of arrow?

5K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  arrowblaster 
#1 ·
Anyway to get determine the stiffest side of arrow fast and easy? A tool of some sort? Without throwing arrows into bubble bath or putting through hooter....

Methods?

#2 ·
Some folks use a compression test. Get a bar clamp longer than your arrows. get a couple short flat pcs. of aluminum. Hone divets into the middle of them and screw them onto the ends of your bar clamp pads. Take your arrow with field point in one end, remove nock from the other end and put in bushing and field point, so that you have field points in both ends. Place field points into the middle of the divets in the flat metal and simply squeeze the clamp til the arrow bends. The stiff side/plane of your arrow will always be at 90 degrees to the way the arrow bends.

#5 ·
Tested this pretty extensively last year. Doesn't work. Couldn't get repeatable results to save my life lol. I bought arrows from SouthShore archery that were spine indexed and never could get the compression test to line up with the mark they provided.

#7 ·
Ram spine tester, or a version of one, will work well for finding the stiff/weak side.

I put one together from aluminum bar stock, skateboard bearings, and a dial gauge and stand.

Haven't had to turn a nock at the range ever since.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
X2 on the spine tester.

I built one a few years ago using bits and bobs I had lying around.
I made mine adjustable so I could test with different arrow lengths apart from the standard 28''.
If you just want to index arrows, length does not matter.

Kev

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.