Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Compound world. I have always shot Traditional (longbow/recurve). I shoot the bare bow class now and was looking into a compound for competitions. I will admit that I am "cheap". I was cruising Ebay and found a Hoyt Defiant. Has anyone heard of the Defiant, and if so, how well does it shoot?

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
if it is the blue one i've been looking at that also but need to know draw weight which isn't listed and draw length is an ''i think 30 1/2'' . not going to bid because i want to KNOW bow parameters . there is also a chrome martin scepter that has a decent starting price and may be worth a look . good luck and remember patience is rewarded . i'm always seeing bows i need [and don't buy ] only to find an even better one a couple days later , trust me , don't hurry . . .peace

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I looked....There is a Hoyt Defiant, blue, and it is likely a late 90's model...In the mid 90's, the Defiant was a bit beefier construction, and had a more de-flexed riser....I have one just like this, and the draw length on mine is 28.5", and max draw weight is approx. 55#, the limbs were special ordered from Hoyt at this draw weight...Very well made bow, the cams are very smooth to draw, and make very good speed, the bow behaves well at the shot, a bit of a bump, but not hateful...I like the grip design very much, some do, some dont...If the draw length suits 'Ya, and if You can get along with the grip, and if You can get it to Your house for around $100.00, then I'd say go for it...I've shot Fingers with mine a good bit, and find that it works very well for me at my draw length...I have contemplated selling mine, I dont shoot it any more...I'd tell ya how fast it shoots, but some folks would think that I'm telling a story, but trust me, for the ATA, and brace height, and the smooth draw cycle,,it's pretty quick...Very good cam, IMHO, for Finger shooting....Hope this helps ya out........Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim! I was wondering about this one because one of our club members shoots a Hoyt that looks similar to this one. I think his an old Vantage. I have shot that one and it was pretty smooth. We'll see what happens.

Troy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, didn't "win" it. I was in a meeting when the bid ended. I had the bid for 60 and it went for 66. Still have a bid on a scepter 2 and made an offer on a pro vantage. I'll see how those turn out.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Nope, didn't "win" it. I was in a meeting when the bid ended. I had the bid for 60 and it went for 66. Still have a bid on a scepter 2 and made an offer on a pro vantage. I'll see how those turn out.
The Scepter 2 is a Finger shooting bow for sure....The bow it's self is great for Fingers, with the A-T-A and brace height specs, and the Fury cams are very good cams for shooting Fingers...I hope that You get it..Harperman

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still waiting on the scepter. I did score a 20 - 35 pound pro vantage triumph with a old Robin Hood today. They should be in next week. The hoyt has a 27" draw (+-1"). I, however have a 28 1/2" to 29" draw. A guy I coach 4H with shoots a couple of pro vantages and he thinks we might be able to make it work. Anyone have any ideas? We talked about swapping the upper and lower cams an putting a longer string on it.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Still waiting on the scepter. I did score a 20 - 35 pound pro vantage triumph with a old Robin Hood today. They should be in next week. The hoyt has a 27" draw (+-1"). I, however have a 28 1/2" to 29" draw. A guy I coach 4H with shoots a couple of pro vantages and he thinks we might be able to make it work. Anyone have any ideas? We talked about swapping the upper and lower cams an putting a longer string on it.
I'd think that You could play with the string/cables and get that bow to Your draw length, expect an older Wheel bow to gain some poundage when making the draw length longer by doing this, though...Hope this helps out....Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was actually hoping for a 40 to 50 pound bow anyways. I will hopefully get a chance to mess with it next week. Should be interesting, I have never owned or shot a compound before.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
sooo , did you ''win '' the scepter . i kept looking but it was to pricy for me . i don't understand why on ebay one ''wins'' something and has to pay for it . i thought winning implied it was free+tax .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The auction ends Monday night. Yeah, I don't get the winning thing either. Kind of like a slot machine when you win. You forget what it cost you to get there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way. What arrow rests work for compound finger shooters? I use a Spigarelli and Cartel plunger on my recurve.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
By the way. What arrow rests work for compound finger shooters? I use a Spigarelli and Cartel plunger on my recurve.
The same flipper/plunger that You use on an OLY. style recurve will work, most that use a flipper arm/plunger set-up use Spig's, or Cavalier wire arm flippers of one make or another....Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just found out I "won" the Septer 2. I believe I got a good deal. I shot the Septer 4 tonight that a freind of mine has and it had the same limbs and poundage as the one I bought. Once I got my gap figured out, I placed a group of 4 arrows the size of a golf ball. This is only after shooting a dozen and a half arrows out of it! Still love my trad stuff too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts