This is one of the original Eberlestock "Gunslinger" packs. The name is unfortunate, as the "gun scabbard" is very nice for other uses.

$180 TYD, Paypal, CONUS. Listing is for the pack only. The rifle, tent, sleeping pad, cook kit, and curmudgeon shown for scale and illustration are not included.

The Gunslinger is best suited for folks who need a comfortable, well-constructed hunting pack that will swallow a surprising amount of oddly shaped and bulky stuff. Ideal uses would include hunting in cold temps (i.e., carrying bulky clothes) or day hunting in the west, but with enough gear to stay out overnight. It's more than a daypack, less than a larger backpack.

It has a single large main bag; a lid with a zippered main compartment and a smaller zippered padded outer pocket; a relatively flat zippered pocket on the main bag; and an open pocket on the back of the main bag. The main bag includes sleeves for water bladders. The bag is approximately 2200 cubic inches, so large for a daypack. The outer is a soft material, with heavy Cordura nylon in high stress areas (e.g., the bottom and the underside of the lid). The inner lining is nylon. There are webbing loops all over for connecting items to the outside of the bag.

In addition to the area in the bag, the pack features what they call a full-width rifle scabbard between the bag and framesheet. The bottom end of the scabbard (muzzle end of rifle), rolls up into the scabbard when not in use. I would describe it as resembling a load shelf with enclosed sides and bottom.

I have had 3 of these. Mine has been used and abused and is not for sale, although it is shown in the one field photo. The one I am selling (all of the indoor photos) has seen occasional light use by other family members but is in excellent shape. It is soft from handling but does not show significant wear or significant stains.

Here's how I use mine in the field, which may help you decide if the one I'm selling will meet your needs.

All of the odds and ends I use on a regular basis go in the main compartment of the lid (headlamp, lunch, camera, gloves, release, rifle shells, etc.). My phone and/or GPS go in the small padded pocket on the lid. I put infrequently used items (knife, license, paracord, etc.) in the zippered pocket on the main bag. I use the open pocket on the main bag for water shoes, a water bottle, a map, or something else of the sort. If the open pocket is in use or I need lots of water, I put a hydration bladder or two in sleeves in the main bag. That leaves the main bag mostly open for bulky items like cold-weather clothing.

The scabbard is pretty cool additional space. If I'm primarily day-hunting but want to be prepared for a night or two, I slip my tent, my sleeping pad, and my cook kit into the scabbard. Even with everything listed above, that still leaves the main bag mostly open for my down quilt, game bags, and enough food for a couple of days.

You can, of course, carry a rifle in the scabbard if you unroll the foot. What may be less obvious is that it works well for other long items as well. I've used mine a lot for my pruning pole, safety harness, and tree-stand straps, again leaving the main compartment open for bulky clothing. I've used the webbing loops with bungie cords to attach items like climbing sticks and hip boots to the outside of the pack as well.

This pack is not a long-distance hauler for heavy loads. Although I have pushed the limits and found mine to be plenty strong, it's made to be comfy and is not as stiff as should be for such use. It will get your first load of meat to the road, but you'll be relieved to drop it off and go back with a serious load-hauler.

Photos give a better idea of how the pack is laid out and how it works.

One photo shows me wearing my Gunslinger, not the one I am selling. The one I am selling does not include bloodstains. Those are an after-market DIY option. ;^)

One photo shows the pack from the rear. Although the pack itself is empty and appears so, my tent, sleeping pad, and cook kit are actually in the scabbard. There is a related photo with the scabbard unfurled and holding my pruning pole, with my tent, sleeping pad, and cook kit alongside for scale.

Another photo shows the padded hip belt and back panel from the rear. The shoulder straps can be adjusted up and down for torso length.

Finally, there are two photos that include a Tikka rifle: one on top of the empty pack for scale and one in the scabbard.

The above is a looong description but questions are still welcome. I'd like the buyer to have a pack that is well-suited to their needs.