Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i recently purchased an Eberlestock X1A1 in Max 1 camo and i have to say this is the BEST daypack i have used to date. I've owned many different packs from the Badlands Superday, 2800 and Hypervent. A few Cabela's brand daypacks. an Eberlestock Slingshot. a few Fieldline products. BUT this pack is the cats meow.

I loaded it with 32lbs to lug around on our AT hog hunt at Jed's a few weeks ago and it handled the weight very well. I carried it quite a long ways too as i used the spot and stalk method the majority of the time. the pack took the weight and south texas thorns and brush in stride and didn't show a hint of use.

the main selling points for me were the adjustable torso, molle straps, the bow tether system, Eberlestock's great warranty and construction.
i took a lot of pictures of this pack because i really believe this to be one of the best daypacks on the market. Obviously i haven't tried the Black's Creek or a couple other brands but i have tried the big contenders and they came up short compared to this pack.
and before anyone makes an accusation NO I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH EBERLESTOCK IN ANYWAY SHAPE OR FORM but i wouldn't turn em down if they offered:tongue:. I just really feel they make a super pack. Hope you enjoy these pics.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll get a pick of the bow tether in action as soon as i have someone here at home to snap a picture for me.

here are a few pictures of the pack

Front of pack

harness side of pack

close up of the adjustable feature of the harness

Right side of pack with hydration bladder pocket

left side of pack (notice the pocket between the main part of pack and lower pouch where the cam and lower limb rest)

main compartment above the adjustable internal shelf

inside main compartment below shelf accesed by side zippers on both sides of pack

view inside gunscabbard (hold a scoped rifle, or spotting scope and tripod, even a pop up blind)

inside of one of the "X" pockets used to cradle the riser of the bow, you can see them on the front view of the pack

inside large pocket of lower pouch as seen on the front view of pack

small pocket on same lower pouch

small accessory pouch i bought to use on left side of hip belt

inside of that small accesory pouch

lare fleece lined accessory pouch i bought to use on right side of hip belt

inside the main comparment of the large accessory pouch (big enough for a set of 10x42 binos)

smaller compartment of large accessory pouch (big enough for a Leica CRF900 range finder :wink:)

·
Registered
822 Posts
good review, how much was it :thumbs_up

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the pack by itself is around $140 plus around $50 or so for the extra accessory pouches which you don't really need but i plan on using em on my Blue Widow pack so i bought em now, but the small pouch came in handy for my rangefinder cause i didn't get a tether or anything for it yet.. and i've never used a rangefinder before i bought this one so i'm still trying to figure out how i wanted to keep it available on a tether or small pouch or some sort of harness..

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
how hard would it be to clean out the main compartment if a person where to use it to pack out meat? Or would a person be better off putting the boned out meat in the bow carrier pouch then figure out a way to cinch it all down tight? Do you think It would handle about 60 to 70lbs for one load if a person used this as a day pack and packed out the first load, then came back for the rest with my frame pack?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
One more question. have you weight the pack empty? How close is it to their advertised weight? does it have some sort of frame sheet? I am now trying ot decide between this and the badlands 2800 for day hunts and a pack to take the first load of meat out with.

thanks and great review

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for meat if you put it in a alaskan game bag it wouldn't be hard at all.... it's nylon lined.
i can load it up with 60 to 70lbs and tell ya how it goes.. i'll do it tomorrow. and let ya know how it goes. i did load the Gunslinger with 50lbs and it carried it like a champ but this pack is a little lighter weight than the Gunslinger i had.

i'll definitely do that though... hell gimme a couple hours. i'll load it up and take it around the loop at my house and tell ya how it goes. if i make it back:rolleyes: been a while since i've carried that much weight but i'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more question. have you weight the pack empty? How close is it to their advertised weight? does it have some sort of frame sheet? I am now trying ot decide between this and the badlands 2800 for day hunts and a pack to take the first load of meat out with.

thanks and great review
hheheheh... i had a badlands 2800 before i bought this pack. sold it to get this one. the badlands just wasn't comfortable for me and the torso wasn't adjustable. i'll get you the empty weight and the total weight i carry around the loop.. just gimme a little while and i'll post it up.

thanks
JJ

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
You don't have to go to extremes I was just curious what you thought. Thanks for all the info. I really like the looks of this pack. I will check back later.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's only 3.5 miles lol... just haven't carried that much weight in a while... it'll serve me well anyway cause i'll probably be doing the same thing you're wanting to do with it when i go to AZ (i hope)..

empty weight- 5.4lbs
empty weight with 6 393grain arrows, a kwikee 6 arrow quiver and the large and small accessory pouch - 7.2lbs

the rest when i return...

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok....don't laugh but i went a little over a mile..lol

total pack weight (including pack)-72.3lbs so it was around 65-66lbs of crap. it carried it fairly well. i don't think i'd want to carry much more than 60-65lbs for an extended period with this pack. the frame didn't give but the straps are a little light for that much weight. if you're wanting to carry more you may want to give the Badlands 2800 if it's comfortable for you to wear. personally i'd go with the J105(2900 cu in but it'll expand to 7200cu in if you need it) which you can find for $229. it still has the adjustable torso just like this pack and the other Just ONE series packs plus it'll accept all the same add on's like the spike duffel, zip in panel etc... i had a J107 til my dog got a hold of it. it's a great pack just a little heavy. they are coming out with a Blue WIdow which is designed for bowhunters and it's overall weight is lighter.

hope this helps

·
Registered
504 Posts
Great job on going the extra mile!

You've already answered all my questions.I'm just letting you know that you didn't waste your time and it was appreciated!

THANKS!

Shadow Man

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
thanks [email protected], I also called and talked to Glen (I think) at eberlestock. He was very helpfull also. He told me I should go with the Barta or the Gunslinger. But he did say they would warranty the straps if I did go with the X1 no matter how much weight I put in it. I have never weighed them (guess I am afraid to know lol, but I bet the front quarters of an average sized elk boned out would be about 60 to 70 lbs, thats what I would haul with this pack.

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
dude i could tell i haven't carried that much weight in a while... except around my midsection:embara:

30 more pounds makes one heck of a difference
It seems it is easier to carry it around the mid section than being dead weight strapped to your back, I found that out last year when I lost 50 lbs!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks [email protected], I also called and talked to Glen (I think) at eberlestock. He was very helpfull also. He told me I should go with the Barta or the Gunslinger. But he did say they would warranty the straps if I did go with the X1 no matter how much weight I put in it. I have never weighed them (guess I am afraid to know lol, but I bet the front quarters of an average sized elk boned out would be about 60 to 70 lbs, thats what I would haul with this pack.
well if i had to choose between those two i'd go with the Gunslinger. I got that one by mistake and loaded it with 50lbs and it carried it like this X1 carries 30lbs. the Gunslinger has a stiffer frame sheet and aluminum stays. also the Gunslinger has compression straps like the Just One series packs. i did a short write up on it before i boxed it back up. i'll see if i can't dig it up for ya.

good luck.

let us know what ya wind up with and if you do get the gunslinger post some better pics than the ones i did.. i only took a few though.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
thats a great review and deff a very nice pack. it is going to be a toss up between this and the 2200 when it comes time for my purchase.

thanks for posting

1 - 20 of 46 Posts