Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to stir up a hornets nest, or incite heated debates. How many of you are giving up the ghost about shooting the biggest deer in the woods this year and are just taking the first deer that walks by to fill the freezer.
With the jobless rate climbing and our economy falling and at the moment no help in sight, I'm wondering if more and more of us are just trying to ease the cost of living by filling our freezers no matter the head dress or the size of what we fill our tags with.
I for one was never a horn hunter but always tried to hold off on smaller or yearlings but this year when I finnaly get Dr. release to start hunting (which should be in about 11/2 weeks) I don't think I'll be too selective in my persuit, I believe this year if it is in range it is going to the freezer(hopefully).
What ever you decide I hope everyone of us fills his or her tags and takes some strain off thier grocery bill.

PS don't forget to vote it is our only hope.

· Registered
5,379 Posts
I won't be as picky this year because I will end up working more which means less time to hunt. But anyway I look at it hunting is not a cheap sport, I would hate to find out the cost per pound of venison after figuring in all of my equipment and other expenses.

· Registered
5,442 Posts
I am definately keeping extra this year..I have plenty of does in the woods though. I'll still not shoot a small buck. I generally give several deer to friends and family every year. I plan on putting at least two in my own freezer first before anyone else gets any. My wife and I have been discussing this also.. We put up extra stuff out of the garden this summer also..

· Registered
3,720 Posts
Well, I won't lose my job, but I also won't get a raise to combat all the other rising expenses(fuel, food, health insurance, heating, etc). I will put an extra doe in the freezer as all ground. Already having a lifetime license and buddieis with grinders it's free food. No new bow this year and a buck cape may or may not end up in freezer until a later date to get mounted. If I was really hard up for food and money I also wouldn't bow hunt it:pukey: and risk a $20 arrow/broadhead and simply use a $1.00 bullet:eek:

· Dad, Husband, Hunter
2,999 Posts
Keep hunting

I am going to keep working and hunting the same as every other year. It is the reaction of society that will colapse our economy, and if we continue without reaction to the voices on TV telling us our economy is failing then we will be fine. Times will be rough for some, but they always are. We have to stay strong as a whole to insure that our future gets better and not WORSE.

Keep going boys.

· Registered
29 Posts
smartest man here

I am going to keep working and hunting the same as every other year. It is the reaction of society that will colapse our economy, and if we continue without reaction to the voices on TV telling us our economy is failing then we will be fine. Times will be rough for some, but they always are. We have to stay strong as a whole to insure that our future gets better and not WORSE.

Keep going boys.

Listen to this guy...don't listen to the folks on TV who get paid to push Gloom and Doom.

Why would you change your spending habbits, unless you have lost your job? I have been laid off 3 times in the last 8 years, but I am gainfully employed now and will not curb my spending becuase the kid on TV says I should.

Rising costs of fuel? Uh, I paid $2.99 yesterday for gas. yes, it's higher than years past, but that's life.

In fact, I will take an extra deer to the meat processor this year just to keep him in business.

Bargains are to be had in tough economic times as well. If you know a buddy in tough times and trying to sell stuff, like old equipment, help him/her out and buy it!

But the worst thing we can do is stop buying things because we think the economy is slowing. Interest rates are down, gas is down, etc.
HECK, I may go buy that new TV I always wanted becuase it is 0% financing at SAMs and they are practically givin them away!

Do your part, if you can, and keep the economy rolling!

· Registered
1,139 Posts
I can't imagine anyone in this country can significantly impact their grocery bill by taking a couple deer for the freezer. Subtract the cost of licences, fuel, equipment etc from the cost of just going to the store and buying a couple of hundred pounds of meat and you're looking at a savings of only a few hundred dollars over the course of a year. If things are that tight, your time would be much better spent on a part time job. Even flipping burgers at McDonalds would be a far better solution to make ends meet than hunting.

Hunting to feed your family might be a romantic notion, but the economics of it just can't be justified anymore.

· Silent Death
2,895 Posts
Listen to this guy...don't listen to the folks on TV who get paid to push Gloom and Doom.

Why would you change your spending habbits, unless you have lost your job? I have been laid off 3 times in the last 8 years, but I am gainfully employed now and will not curb my spending becuase the kid on TV says I should.

Rising costs of fuel? Uh, I paid $2.99 yesterday for gas. yes, it's higher than years past, but that's life.

In fact, I will take an extra deer to the meat processor this year just to keep him in business.

Bargains are to be had in tough economic times as well. If you know a buddy in tough times and trying to sell stuff, like old equipment, help him/her out and buy it!

But the worst thing we can do is stop buying things because we think the economy is slowing. Interest rates are down, gas is down, etc.
HECK, I may go buy that new TV I always wanted becuase it is 0% financing at SAMs and they are practically givin them away!

I could not agree more. There are some people who will not loose their jobs, like myself. I will be spending as much as I possibly can at local companies trying to help them keep afloat. If you are in a position to help the little man out, things will slowly get better!!!!

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Some of that doom and gloom talk on TV is aimed at de-railing the campaign. The media is in the tank. Just use the common sense you were born with and as a nation we will make it. Good luck filling those freezers but keep it real. :cool:

· Registered
2,517 Posts
I can't imagine anyone in this country can significantly impact their grocery bill by taking a couple deer for the freezer. Subtract the cost of licences, fuel, equipment etc from the cost of just going to the store and buying a couple of hundred pounds of meat and you're looking at a savings of only a few hundred dollars over the course of a year. If things are that tight, your time would be much better spent on a part time job. Even flipping burgers at McDonalds would be a far better solution to make ends meet than hunting.

Hunting to feed your family might be a romantic notion, but the economics of it just can't be justified anymore.
Unfortunately a very realistic point. . . . .

· Registered
3,395 Posts

Damn! I need some of your positive attitude to rub off on me. I am one miserable SOB with everything going on in this world. I will just have to keep reading your post for some peice of mind!:eek:

· Dad, Husband, Hunter
2,999 Posts
Good news

The good news is a large majority of america are realizing that things are not as bad as TV wants us to believe. We all know that hollywood is pushing hard for Obama to be our next president. They want us to think that the Democratic party is the only way our economy can rebound. The fact is simple; It #1 factor to our ecomonic status is society and their reaction to what is heard that will guide our future. We stay strong, and continue to live life the same today as yesterday and we will make it.

My only advice is stay away from high interest loans and CC (plastic money) whenever you can...

· Registered
1,281 Posts
I've been employed at the same job for over 24 years, and I'm pretty sure it will be there tomorrow. I'm lucky.

I filled up the gas tank today for $2.89 a gallon. Tomorrow I'm driving 180 miles to hunt for the weekend. I have my $200 woth of out of state tags in my pocket, and I'm packing thousands of dollars of gear and equipment to take.

Beef is cheaper, but hanging off the side of a tree in KY with my family around is what keeps me sane enough to have the same job for 24 years.

I've put one doe in the freezer this year, and hope to do several more. I'll shot the does because I like the meat, but I'll still let the little guys go. I usually end every year with a buck tag in my pocket. I'm use to it.:wink:

· Registered
29 Posts
Yo, Hammer...

Staying positive does take work/effort. I've got 2 awesome little kids who keep me motivated. Even in my lowest hours with no work and debt piling up, they didn't know any different. they still hug me, love me and depend on me so I had no choice but to MAKE change happen. You just focus on the things you CAN affect and let the crap slide that you can NOT change.

My boy is 5 and asked if he can hunt with me in the "tent" this year. That's what he calls my blind that he plays in during the off season. I can't explain how happy that makes me that he wants to go hunt with me!

OhioHunter... as far as the elections and politics go, I generally stay away. I may not have retained much in College, but the ONE thing I remember about Ecomnomics is that the President has truely ZERO impact on the Interest Rates, Inflation, etc. All that stuff is really influenced by supply and demand. The federal Reserve holds the keys to the Kingdom!
But that wouldn't sound good in the media if the World's most powerful position (US President) had zero impact on his own countries dollar, now would it? :)

OK, I will stop rambling....

Let's all just have some fun and shoot some deer!

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Yo, Hammer...

Staying positive does take work/effort. I've got 2 awesome little kids who keep me motivated. Even in my lowest hours with no work and debt piling up, they didn't know any different. they still hug me, love me and depend on me so I had no choice but to MAKE change happen. You just focus on the things you CAN affect and let the crap slide that you can NOT change.

My boy is 5 and asked if he can hunt with me in the "tent" this year. That's what he calls my blind that he plays in during the off season. I can't explain how happy that makes me that he wants to go hunt with me!

OhioHunter... as far as the elections and politics go, I generally stay away. I may not have retained much in College, but the ONE thing I remember about Ecomnomics is that the President has truely ZERO impact on the Interest Rates, Inflation, etc. All that stuff is really influenced by supply and demand. The federal Reserve holds the keys to the Kingdom!
But that wouldn't sound good in the media if the World's most powerful position (US President) had zero impact on his own countries dollar, now would it? :)

OK, I will stop rambling....

Let's all just have some fun and shoot some deer!
Amen brother!

· Registered
5,351 Posts
Hate to bring this up guys and gals but the dropping market will be funding my hunting for a year or two. Something the big wigs don't tell the average investor is you can make more money faster in the down market. It's called shorting or buying PUT options. Since the fall in the last two weeks I've made over 1200% profit. To bad I was down to less than a grand before it happened. Don't listen to the money managers telling you to hold on. That's how they make their money by shorting stocks you own then selling them back to you at a higher price. Preserve capitol and move to cash if you don't know how to short(may be too late now but it could get worse). Get back in after this government mess gets sorted out. It may take four more years till we get whatever the next president who makes things worse out of office. Till then my money is on the down side!

P.S. I would hate to calculate how much $ I spend for each pound of venison. It's for the enjoyment and I am happy to be able to eat what I kill. It's more of a self sufficient thing. Most days I'd go hungry.

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many of you respond about the cost of the hunt compared to the cost of beef at the local market.
A while back this crossed my mind strangely while sitting on a slow morning, after figuring the cost of the bow, the stand, the arrows and broadheads,the gas to get there, the amount of stand time by hourly wage, well you all get the idea I decided it wasn't prudent to mention it to the wife-over $40 a pound and climbing.
Time in stand watching all of Gods creatures---- "PRICELESS"
As far as the panic being brought on by the media in the margets I agree it is a ploy so as to get Hollywoods candidate elected. Like someone said try to keep going as you were 2 weeks ago before this all started it will correct itself.If you have the chance to do business with the small guys do it keep them afloat they are the back bone of this great country.

· Registered
49 Posts
I had one of those great jobs that allowed me to be off from mid October till mid January. I got laid off, tonight is my last night. I had to get a real job I start it monday, no more weekday hunting for me

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Its easy to say keep spending when you got nothing to spend. I am glad many of you wont lose your job but me along with friends of mine did lose ours and can barly feed ourselves. Again im glad you can continue to spend

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.