Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked quite a few questions on this topic or relating to it, so I hope I'm not boring anyone by any means. Just going back and forth on what my best options are. I have a Canon XHA-1 and am looking for best options and directions under a budget to review footage and edit it.

What is the best way to get footage from Mini HD DV tapes to the computer for editing?

1. Buy 2nd angle camera and use as a capture deck
2. Buy Direct to DVD burner
3. Am I able to plug in the camera and download directly to the computer.
4. Recommendations on editing software would be greatly appreciated as well. I have heard Pinnacle and Sony Vegas for the money.

Thanks as always for the help!! Best of luck to everyone!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Budget

It really come down to what you want to spend, and how much you are going to use it.

Your camera has a firewire port so it can be used to transfer footage to a computer, but I wouldn't recommend putting the hours on the heads if you can avoid it.

I have a second camera I use as a deck, but if you are doing a lot of transfer you may want to look into a dedicated deck.

The editing software starts with what OS you are running. I am a big fan of Final Cut for the Apple, and the Adobe Suite for the PC/Apple. These are some of the more expensive ones though. You do not need to spend a lot of money on software if you don't have big plans. Without some serious time to dedicate you only scratch the surface of what these programs can do.

My biggest recommendation would have to be don't hold out for the best to get started. Get started uploading and playing with timelines in what ever you can afford. This can be a lot of fun, and you shouldn't get too hung up in the little things. You will learn more from doing then you can reading online. (At least I did:shade:)

You have a great camera, have fun!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I picked up a Canon HV30 as a playback deck and a second angle camera awhile back. I was going to just buy a regular playback deck but went with the HV30 instead because it was a lot cheaper and I also have a camera for a second angle. I might add a real playback in the future but wanted to save some money now to get some new audio stuff for my camera.

As far as editing software I have only ever used Pinnacle and Adobe Premier. Adobe was the very first time I did any editing at school and Pinnacle is what a buddy of mine has. Pinnacle seemed pretty easy to use and worked pretty well. But I am a complete rookie at editing so I don't have much input on it. It does seem like quite a few people like Vegas like you said.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts