Archery Talk Forum banner

Ed's Redemption

579 4
So,

Ed called me up and told me that he and his family just finished eating his deer. Unfortunately, there wasn't any leftovers for lunches. He was quite upset his deer only lasted him one night. He did mention it was very tasty and tender.

So I told him I have no guarentee's but I might be able to work something out. So after a long hard session of thinking I came up with the conclusion that I could take him goose hunting just outside Winnipeg. By just outside, I mean we could have walked to our field almost from home. It was better that we brought the truck as i did have enough decoys it would have been a hard walk. Thank goodness I left my trailer at my in-laws as we were running abit behind schedule. I think my alarm stopped working that morning. Anyways, we got to the field and only setup around 50 decoys.

The morning started off very slow as the birds were late getting up. (kinda like me). Finally I spotted 2 around 20 feet off the ground coming right for us. I told Ed, this is your chance for some more meat. I finally told Ed to "take em" and he popped up. I waited, and waited and watched these birds start flying away and then I heard Ed mumble some words under his breath, so I decided to pull the trigger twice and watch two geese fall. I asked Ed what happened. He informed me, he didn't really know how to work a safety. He tried pulling the trigger three times and yet it never fired. So, then another pair came in the same way and I told him to take them again, this time he popped up and pounded the first goose, then swung to the next one and hit him on his second. The bird started to fall, but Ed decided that "dead" wasn't dead enough and he gave it a third round, even though it wasn't going anywhere.

We started shooting at around 7:15 and were done by 8:30 at the latest. We also had a ten minute walk to look for a goose Ed tickled with his gun. We shot our limit of 10 birds and Ed's share weighed more then his deer. This is great he told me. I might actually have enough for a few meals this time! He told me he would give me a call when he runs out. ed made some great shots and looks like he can work a gun just as good as a bow. He wouldn't of had a 1400 day with the shotgun, but definately a 1390 day for sure. Great shooting and looking forward to taking you out again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,978 Posts
Oh man...there is nothing I like better than a bit of smoked Canada Honker....I'm jealous!

Good shooting boys!

· Registered
1,787 Posts
I made a stir fry tonight, and it wasnt bad. I am sure that if a few more geese find the freezer this fall it would be just fine. It was a great morning...I need to buy my own shotgun though...I have never bothered with using a safety before...I always figured safe was not pointing it at anything you dont want dead...the shooting part was ok, but I am sure it will be better next time...I still think my shot on the deer was better...40# deer at 100 yards with a single projectile must be harder than 12# goose at 20 yards with 80...thanks again, it was a fun moring!!

· Registered
2,866 Posts
...Diamond Lakes Seasoning is nearly mandatory for goose & ducks now. I can pretty much pin the blame Brayford for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.