Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm currently shooting 100gr tips on 29.5" CX300's for a total arrow weight of 380. I am thinking of going to 125gr because I'm worried that my arrows are a little light for hunting (whitetails only) and my bow shoots a little more quietly with heavier arrows. My questions are: What effect will the extra weight have on my speed? I'm shooting 285fps right now and I'd like to be able to shoot one pin to 30yds. Will the heavier points result in my arrows being under spined? My draw length is 31" but my Bodoodle rest lets me shoot shorter arrows (don't know if the extra draw length makes a difference). FOC will change from 10.3 to 12.6. Is 12.6 better or worse? Lots of questions, but I'm relatively new to all these calculations. Thanks for any help.

Scrib

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
two main things with a change to heavier points.

1) the spine of the arrow will decrease. I can't say from your setup if it will mean a change outside the proper parameters for your bow. Those all carbon arrows tend to have a wider range then say the X10 I am most familiar with

2) your sight marks will change. The obvious one is the vertical (up and down). You will get less speed. What many don't realize is that you may have to move your pin(pins) to the right because as spine decreases the tendency is for the arrows to move right for a right handed shooter. You will probably lose about 5-8FPS but that is guestimation

3) generally more FOC is good-to a point. Famous Italian Coach (his son just won the World Championship) Vittorio Frangilli advocates increased FOC. On short range hunting set ups I don't think it is as important on finger released 90M shots though:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts