Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 badboy and im at my freakin wits end. I replace batteries in the thing every year. they leak acid, and corrosive goo out of all of them every year and it just quits working. I changed the batteries in march, ran it all turkey season and it was working fine in may when i put it in my shop. took it out for bow season and it doesnt work and the batteries are all blown up, and the posts look melted again!!!! are there any new batteries other than the trojans? what the best electric cart out there? polaris electric? which one? because im freakin done with this thing.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Get rid of the golf cart! We tried one a few years back and went back to the dealer in parts three days later. Maybe if you just ride around they mite work, but we have three Polaris Rangers and their 6x6 ATV for work and play and they are the best IMO. I am interested in their electric one, but have yet to test it out. Hauling critters out of the woods is the easiest thing ours do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a ranger, I want the silence of an electric for bow hunting, and turkey hunting. whats the latest and greatest out there?!?

·
Registered
905 Posts
they are just like cars. Not worth the effort or expences. Just like cars , you still need coal, no matter what. Besides being quiet is not always what matters. I can buy a lot of gas for what one of your batteries cost and just go puttin along.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have an 07 that got trojans in in and just changed them for the first time with interstate new battery.I never let mine sit no more than a week at the most my lil boy keeps it strech out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Someone mentioned it, but check out the Polaris Ranger EV - looks just like a regular Ranger but quiet. Rated better across the board than Bad Boy Buggies (for a stout premium, I'm sure).

·
Registered
531 Posts
The Polaris electric ranger is hands down better than the 08 badboy buggy I owned. My Polaris ranger is a 2010, I have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have an '08 Stealth and still running the same batteries.I love the quiet.That being said ,I prefer the new Ranger electric.I have 2 friends that have them and they are way nicer machines than Steallth or BadBoy.They are a 400 ranger converted to electric,not golf cart converted to 4x4.Time will tell how good they last.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was and am looking at the electric rangers, but still curious if there is a different battery that might be better than a trojan?!? they suck.

·
Team 11
3,002 Posts
I have the Polaris EV also. No problems for 2 years. The range and power are impressive. The EV is set up to run differently off the batteries than the badboy types (one is AC and the polaris uses DC, I believe). This seems to give better performance. I have an 8 mile roundtrip to one part of my lease and I can make it for the morning and evening on a single charge. I use it for work as well as the back and forth trips. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Duck,
I have a simple ezgo electric golf car with a low speed high torque motor, big controller, heavy cables, heavy forward/reverse switch, and heavy duty solenoid. I have been running Trojan T-105's for a few years with pretty good results. The dealers says with good care, adding distilled water every month if needed and keeping them rinsed off should get me 8-10 years. I have had cables get hot and melt insulation and it was always a loose cable at the motor, switch, or batteries. If your switch or solenoid is not heavy enough, it will melt cables...maybe battery posts too?
Mine is DC, Bad Boys are too, I think. Polaris and Tomberlins should be AC.

Check all those connections and of course disconnect the power first so you don't weld your wrenches and melt stuff real fast! GolfCarCatalog.com has a couple technical guys that have been very helpful to me, even if I didn't buy everything from them at first.(now I do) They have switched from Trojans to something else because of quality issues, but it really sounds like you have another problem.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
i don't own one ,but it sounds like it still using the battery when it's off.
i would put a switch like the race cars have that turns all the juice off.
batteries run to it first.

·
addicted to hunting!
1,046 Posts
I have an 07 badboy and im at my freakin wits end. I replace batteries in the thing every year. they leak acid, and corrosive goo out of all of them every year and it just quits working. I changed the batteries in march, ran it all turkey season and it was working fine in may when i put it in my shop. took it out for bow season and it doesnt work and the batteries are all blown up, and the posts look melted again!!!! are there any new batteries other than the trojans? what the best electric cart out there? polaris electric? which one? because im freakin done with this thing.
I've got three gas powered atv's for me and my kids. I looked into some of the electric atv's last year online. Or should I say that I first looked for reviews and/or complaints for these vehicle. I read nothing but complaints. Whener I see the badboy buggie commericlas on TV they end up saying "they'll never hear you coming!" I told my kids that they are correct! They'll never hear you coming because YOU'LL NEVER GET THERE! Whenever you see their commericials you see these vehicle on flat terrain or gently sloping hills. I hunt in upstate NY on a 1,600 ft elevation mountain w/ atv trails. They would never make it up the mountain on the rocky trails. Sorry to hear your troubles. Search online and you'll find a lot of other complaints.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I really want an electric vehicle. We have the ATVs which are great, but I really want that lack of noise to get around. We have some decent hills in West Central IL, and my biggest concern is 2 wheel drive vs. 4 wheel drive. The cost difference is almost double for the 4 wheel drive. I know it would not be as good, but does anyone have any input on if the 2 wheel drive would work for transportation to and from the stand? I would still have an ATV for the heavier snow and hauling a deer out of a bad spot, but 6K vs. 11K is a lot.

·
hunter
8,143 Posts
Ducky, as above, I suspect the Trojan battery set is not the real problem, as they are one of the better quality available. I guess you have some dead short or wiring issues dragging down those Trojans quickly and causing them to boil and overheat and fail. You can go to the AT ATV specific forum and find out more.

·
addicted to hunting!
1,046 Posts
I really want an electric vehicle. We have the ATVs which are great, but I really want that lack of noise to get around. We have some decent hills in West Central IL, and my biggest concern is 2 wheel drive vs. 4 wheel drive. The cost difference is almost double for the 4 wheel drive. I know it would not be as good, but does anyone have any input on if the 2 wheel drive would work for transportation to and from the stand? I would still have an ATV for the heavier snow and hauling a deer out of a bad spot, but 6K vs. 11K is a lot.
I bought my first ATV new; a 2001 Yamaha Kodiak and it's been great. Since then I have bought 2 more used atv's on craigslist. They were in very nice condition with low mileage. One had 130 miles on it and was 3 years old. If you look around you can get some good deals. You can put muffler silencers on the atv's to lessen the noise. There is still the "engine noise". The silencers can't help out with that. But if you drive a gas powered atv with a silencer slow going to your hunting spot the engine noise is quite low. Although it's not going to be as quiet as an electric it does help.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
We have had our 2001 ezgo since 2007 and gradually added the power upgrades. I have not found ANY hill that it will not climb (as long as there isn't a great deal of mud or snow). The problem at some point becomes holding the front end down....we can have 3 adults crowded in the front seat and we are all leaning forward as much as possible over the dash to keep at least one front tire on the ground while we are laughing and going up the hill. It will do this from a dead stop and take off from the middle of this situation. No reving up an engine or getting a run at the hill. Dad has a Kubota 500 side by side and I can almost go any where he can. I have pulled entire trees that were green and 15 inches in diameter at the base (probably 2000 pounds). Admittedly, it was about all it wanted and we were going down a slight grade, but it was outrageous. If I was doing it all day, then a gas or diesel would be my choice.

For hunting, it's great and dead silent, as long as the leaves are not dry and crunchy or I'm not on a gravel road. I am disabled and live on a farm. We had 10 depridation permits this summer and I shot 10 deer in a couple months. Used the buggy every time to get close enough to set up the shot...25 to 200 yards(rifle).

I just plug it in everyday when I'm done. Probably can get 15 miles out of it per day. We live in hilly country. Check the batteries once per month and all the cable connections once every few months...grease the front end, check tire pressure...that's about it. We love it. The wife says we can never sell it, even if we were suddenly rich and she doesn't even hunt!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts