Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get rid of my Arctic cat prowler and want to buy an electric cart. I am wondering if anybody has any input on these vehicles. How fast do they go how long do the batt last. My price range is going to be around $6000. Is it worth buying a used bad boy buggie i have heard mixed feelings about them. Thanks

·
Registered
531 Posts
I did not like my bad boy buggy. Battery life sucked and it was always in the shop with electrical issues. I have a 2010 Polaris ranger electric and it is ok. No issues with it, but I charge it after every hunt.

·
Human Bean
15,201 Posts
I would be iffy about going with something electric personally. More so because you can quickly and easily "recharge" a gas/diesel vehicle, but batteries also tend to slowly lose capacity. If you aren't careful, you may think the vehicle is fully charged, but the batteries are to a point where it is as if you only had half a charge. You also may have to worry about the battery shorting out or getting damaged and discharging. I don't honestly know that the perceived benefits of an electric cart outweigh the potential downfalls.

Then again, if it is more of a convenience then a necessity, it might not matter.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I liked my Bad Boy Buggie and wish I still had it. It ran about 20 mph tops. I regularly ran it about 20 miles in a day without recharging it. Batteries should last about 4-5 years if you take care of them well.

When I can afford to I'm going to get a Polaris Ranger EV. It's faster, has a better suspension, better range and better brakes.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just get a golfcart and put a bed on it and camo.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
we use a bunch of yamaha electric golf carts with the bigger tires on them. Cheaper and we've not had a single issue hauling deer out of ravines and muck. Heck of a lot cheaper than paying for 1 of those commercialized ones.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I had a jacked up golf cart with mud tires & it was an awesome machine. It would go any where & it hauled out a lot of deer. I sold it cause the charging it all the time got old very quick. I went back to a trusty Yamaha 4x4 quad & don't regret get rid of the electric buggy one bit.

Sent from "dumb *******" using "smartphone";)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Does everything i need it to. Had it in some pretty nasty stuff but nothing mucky and has never let me down. I put a hitch on it just incase or if i need to haul a deer up from a steep hill. Cant beat it for 2-3000 price range.

unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (5).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (27).jpg

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Try considering a gas-powered gold cart. We have a club car lifted and it is very quiet. We've road up on deer multiple times. Even though they're only 2 wheel drive, they're so light they float over just about anything. Our landlord has a diesel powered kubota utv and he was amazed how easily our cart goes over wet ground.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
We have an older bad boy buggy. The number one question I would ask is do you have steep terrain. If you do, the old ones are horrible. They did not beef the brakes on the earlier models, which you would be looking at for six grand. Get them going down a steep hill and watch out. They will push through the electric braking and slide and do all kinds of things except stop. Keep it on fairly flat ground, and it is a great vehicle. It sucks to have to pay six or seven hundred bucks to change batteries, but how much gas would you have purchased in that time with a regular machine? It depends on use I suppose. Anyway. flat ground....great. Steep hills? Never again.

I also, in fairness to them, think that newer models have MUCH better braking systems on them.

·
Romans 10 vs 9
11,116 Posts
48 volt club car has done me very well the last 6 years, 2000.00 invested.
hbbv bbhh.jpg

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
23,683 Posts
I have been doing a little research in this area myself - we have two carts one converted and one not..the converted one is more for show, balc woth blue flames, 7" lift, bigger tires, it moves, but we don't use it for hunting applications, basically they both stay at the beach house. We have a Polaris 600 and two Yamha 450 ATV's at camp that do get the job done, but finding something quieter has been on my mind. A lot of the "noise" conversion kits have less than decent reviews.

Looking around these seem to intrigue me..only problem I can't see one in person...reviews are good, specs look great....I like the idea of the hybrid better than battery only. I can tell you our jacked up cart at the beach hasn't met anything it can't handle yet - we have hauled stumps weighing much more than a deer, traversed terrain that most wou;dn't even try in cart.

anyone have any experience with these??

http://www.huntve.com/

Joe

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
lets get this thread to the top and hear others input on golf carts converted into hunting vehicle. i just bought a house on a golf course and my wife said i could build a cart for dual purposes. what do you guys like better? Gas or electric? what is the nastiest muddiest stuff you have taken a 2 wheel drive thru. have you drove it in the snow? these are all questions i have for owners of hunting golf carts

1 - 20 of 26 Posts