Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate some input on the potential reasons for some slight noise from my HeliM.

Equipment: 29"/70lb HeliM, QAD HDx, Apex Gear 4 pin sight... No stabilizer as of yet.

Some background info:

1. My dad fletched my arrows, but we've had issues getting the jig set right and I've been had blazers fall off a handful (3-6) of times. Working on getting this sorted out, or I'm just going to bring the arrows in. I have given my dad the appropriate amount of sh*t for his ineptitude, but I'm limited in my ridicule since the obvious rebuttal would be that I could always do it myself. Lets not go there.

2. To the best of my knowledge, it could be a relatively recent development. I feel like it was quieter the first time I shot it (w/ some different arrows at the shop at one point), although I've shot a few of my dad's arrows and it still has some noise. I don't think he fletched his own arrows.

3. Monkey Tails - I had one monkey tail that seemed to have slid down the cable. I moved it up and this did make the bow quieter. Still louder than my dad's DXT. Quieter than my brother's DXT. Could be sabotage by my dad.

4. No Stabilizer - This seems the obvious starting point. I'm considering a Ktech or Axion 5" stabilizer. It's a hunting bow, so quiet is more important than absolute balance. I feel comfortable with how it shoots, and I've never shot with a stab. One of the reasons I bought the HeliM was the weight, so I've been hesitant to add such a heavy accessory when I was previously comfortable without. This obviously could be the main culprit, and I welcome any critique on this. (Such as "hey dumb*ss, get a stabilizer!... I recommend _______.")

My suspicions in order: Stabilizer, Re-fletching arrows, perhaps the string stop could be upgraded to a ktech?, or the bow needs to be tuned. I've never had a bow paper tuned before.

Any recommendations of stabilizers, other noise-causing spots I haven't considered, or even corrections to my use of the English language are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
916 Posts
i recommend the nap apache stabilzer. its only 30-40 dollars and it does a very good job. i have one on my helim tactical. balances it out perfectly imo. i had a ktech before. it was real nice but i actually think i like the apache better. i had it on my vector 32 that i traded also and it really took all the vibe out of it.

·
Registered
VXR 31.5 TRX 40 Hamskea Axcel Bee stinger Doinker
2,921 Posts
What arrows are you using

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
A sims s-coil stabilizer will do a great job at eliminating noise and what little vibration there is. They run around $20

·
Registered
410 Posts
You need a stabilizer. It will soak up that vibration. Vibration=noise.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kind of my thought on the stabilizer being step 1.

Arrows are Carbon Express Maxima Hunters. Could it be an arrow clearance issue?

·
Registered
451 Posts
make sure it's still in time. It'll get a little noisier if timing is out. Max out the limb bolts (if they aren't already) and make sure the cable runs right down the middle of the timing hole in the cam. Timing has to be checked at max #. My guess is it probably needs a couple twists in the cable.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
make sure it's still in time. It'll get a little noisier if timing is out. Max out the limb bolts (if they aren't already) and make sure the cable runs right down the middle of the timing hole in the cam. Timing has to be checked at max #. My guess is it probably needs a couple twists in the cable.
When I shot the bow when it first came in, the owner came out and realized it wasn't turned all the way back up, so he turned up the poundage a bit more. Might this have thrown the timing off?

I am relatively ignorant with the technical aspects, but I get the occasional feeling that you don't have to be an expert to own an archery shop, either. Not to say that they aren't experts, but I do wonder about the various shops I've visited. Maybe I'll look into stopping in at a different shop.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Make sure you are shooting the correct spine in arrows. Too light of an arrow will make noise as well.
This could possibly be a cause. Also do you have anything on the string as far as silencers? I put cat whiskers on the cable and top of the string. I left the bottom monkey tail on. The cat whiskers seemed to help a lot on mine. I also put a set of limbsaver limb dampners on as well. They help as well, but not as much as string silencers

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The qad hdx makes some noise when it drops this maybe what you are hearing. Another thing to check is my string stop came loose and was rattling. I have now put lock tote on the screws. I have the 3" axion stabilizer on my HeliM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just the 4 monkey tails that seem to be standard. The arrows are just the heavier of the two stock C.E. maximas. I don't know about the spine other than they are the heavier arrow.

I think I will proceed in this order:

1. Shoot some stabilizers.
2. Fix my fletchings.
3. Look into timing/tuning?
4. Arrow change? I would be surprised if they were too light though.
5. String silencers (I'll consider this the last solution since the others seem to have potential for actual issues and this might cover up an area for improvement?)

I'll also check to make sure everything is tightened down. I would say it's more of a vibration noise (or possibly arrow-related) than any loud contact-type noise. I guess part of me just expects the HeliM to be quieter than a DXT, and I felt it was at one point so these are some good areas for me to trouble-shoot.

I appreciate the input, gentlemen.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
5" axiom and put stabilizer lites in it..

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
About the only difference I can portray tween mine and your s is I have 5" K-Tech stabilizer

Mine does seem louder after a few hundred shots but I think just cause I am getting used to it and it is much quieter than my last bow.

I let my son shoot it and me stand aside and it still is quiet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts