Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about a GT 500 or a Z28.I see some on the classified section sometimes.My question is about quiet.I'm a fanatic about quiet--that's why I shoot BT center pivot bows.Would either of these bows come close to my Guardian as far as quiet goes?Anything else to look for in these bows?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
You would like the Z 28 the most

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
Been thinking about a GT 500 or a Z28.I see some on the classified section sometimes.My question is about quiet.I'm a fanatic about quiet--that's why I shoot BT center pivot bows.Would either of these bows come close to my Guardian as far as quiet goes?Anything else to look for in these bows?
No, as much as i like my elite bows. The bows wont be as quiet as your guardian.

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
noise

Funny, but I think ultimate accuracy is #1. Elite makes a hi-end product if U know how 2 tune etc.( as easy as setting the gap on a spark plug.) matching arrow wgt 2 d.w. setting draw,; creates in its own" Quite set-up".E is a NeedleThreader, all of their riser designs. good luc b.b.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
No I don't believe you can match the quietness of the Guardian but with a good tune you can get pretty darn close. Depending on which Elite you choose, you may need some after-market sound dampeners.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have both a GT500 and a Z. The Z is much quieter but I think most of that comes from the Z having a G5 Expert rest and the GT having a QAD HD. The only thing I hear on the Z is a soft "dunk" from the launcher hitting the rubber bumper on the rest.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Not trying to highjack the thread but I have a 09 GT500 and it is quite loud, no hand shock but a really hard loud thud, is this due to tuning or are most like this? It has a string suppressor and bowjax on each limb.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Not trying to highjack the thread but I have a 09 GT500 and it is quite loud, no hand shock but a really hard loud thud, is this due to tuning or are most like this? It has a string suppressor and bowjax on each limb.
Cams may not be in perfect sync, if they are just a little off it contributes to a lot of noise. Also, the string should not touch the suppressor at brace, I like about 1/16 space from rubber to string.

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,379 Posts
I 've been breaking in my 2010 Z28 for the last couple days. I've run about 100-120 arrows through it and it's just now getting that "Smooth as Butter" feel in the draw cycle. I'm not really impressed about how quiet the bow is at this time. I've only put a Fuse Carbon Conexion on it for noise and I'm sure the cams aren't exactly at their optimum setting for my D/L. I'm shooting it with a G5 Expert II. The cable slide is making a vibrating noise, but that's easily fixed. I'm sure after it's all said and done I'll be confident that it will be quiet enough to hunt successfully with, but have doubts that it will be the quietest bow I've ever owned.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I love the Z28, however it's not Guardian quiet. Luckily, found a brand new guardian by calling around. Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Some dude posted the other day on the EAF that they cut a chunk off a Bowjax and stuck it down the tube of the STS. I tried it the other day on my Z and it made a HUGE difference. The only noise now is from my rest.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Some dude posted the other day on the EAF that they cut a chunk off a Bowjax and stuck it down the tube of the STS. I tried it the other day on my Z and it made a HUGE difference. The only noise now is from my rest.
So your saying that it could be in the factory string suppressor? That sounds like where i'm hearing the sound as well, but not exactly sure. This is a great bow and shoots awesome just more sound then my Drenalin I was shooting.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I stuffed as much rubber as I could down that thing and still have a slight gap between the suppressor and string. I put string leeches on the string and cables and it is whisper quiet now. There was a twang sound when I first got it and it is gone now. It seemed there was more noise than normal coming from the suppressor area, I put that rubber in like the guy did on the other forum and it made a HUGE difference. While it was dead in my hand before compared to the Reezen I had, it doesn't move at all now at the shot. I didn't have a bowjax layin around so I cut up a beer coozie and stuck it in there. Worked awesome for me.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
So your saying that it could be in the factory string suppressor? That sounds like where i'm hearing the sound as well, but not exactly sure. This is a great bow and shoots awesome just more sound then my Drenalin I was shooting.
The hollow insert for the suppressor was thought to be the source of the noise. The OP and several others have commented that by plugging it with rubber pieces they were able to cut down on resonance significantly.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
The hollow insert for the suppressor was thought to be the source of the noise. The OP and several others have commented that by plugging it with rubber pieces they were able to cut down on resonance significantly.
Why not fill it with some silicone? Looks like that would work really well to deaden it up.
My last Elite was a Z28...It wasnt nearly as quite as my old Guardian, I threw a set of cut down Cat Whiskers on it and tamed it down alot. If I have a bow I cant get to be really quiet a small, puffy set of cat whiskers is my go to thing, they'll tame any rig down.

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,379 Posts
Hmmm? I wonder if they made a product change because I took my stock STS tube (arm) off and it's solid. Or at least closed on both ends.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hmmm? I wonder if they made a product change because I took my stock STS tube (arm) off and it's solid. Or at least closed on both ends.
Not the tube, but the area that the tube slides into.

And I'll be... I just tried this and I think it actually works.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts